Website My Sisters' Place
My Sisters’ Place (MSP) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that has been providing support to victims of domestic violence and human trafficking throughout Westchester County, NY since 1978. MSP has evolved from a small, grassroots organization into a holistic agency touching the lives of more than 10,000 individuals each year. We provide a continuum of free services including: a 24-hour hotline, emergency residential shelter, adult counseling, legal services, children’s services, and an extensive community education and training outreach program.
The Part Time Domestic Violence Shelter Relief Advocate provides shift coverage support to an incredible team that includes full time advocates from all other shifts, and administrative staff to ensure that residents receive emotional support and opportunities to begin healing from their trauma, at the same time as their practical needs are being met. Under the guidance of the Director of the Residential Program, and the Associate Director of Residential Services, The Part Time Domestic Violence Shelter Relief Advocate will be responsible the following functions:
Essential Position Functions:
1. Provide day-to-day case management, counseling, and crisis intervention to clients as needed and/or required
2. Serve as client advocate on personal as well as criminal justice related issues as needed.
3. Keep thorough and up-to-date client records in accordance with agency file requirements.
4. Assist with intake procedures including but not limited too review of the Welcome Packet, development of and on-going assessment safety plan, coordinate initial appointments for DSS and other relevant service providers. .
5. Ensure the timely submission of all required stats and timesheets to Senior Residential Advocate.
6. Assist in the completion of OVS, public benefit and housing applications as needed and/or requested.
7. Monitor client progress and provide follow-up assistance as needed and/or requested.
8. Assure safety and well-being of residents in accordance with shelter guidelines and resident responsibilities.
9. Provide residents with referrals for additional supportive services as needed and/or requested.
10. Keep Senior Residential Advocate advised of the need for schedule changes as it pertains to work schedules.
11. Participate in regular supervision with Senior Residential Advocate to promote the provision of quality services.
12. Assist in the maintenance of the petty cash log and facilitate the collection of backup documentation regularly.
13. Enter data into designated database and provide reports as needed and/or requested.
14. Must participate in staff meetings, trainings and/or professional development sessions as directed.
15. Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree preferred: two years college plus one year of experience required.
Knowledge of victimization and domestic violence a plus
Ability to maintain confidentiality and provide supportive counseling in a genuine, respectful and sensitive manner.
Ability to handle crisis effectively, exercising good judgment and calmness.
Strong written and oral communication skills
Must be able to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and on a team
MSP general requirements:
· Support our philosophy and guiding principles
· Participate in agency-wide and community events, initiatives and committees to help strengthen our organizational goals
· Work collaboratively across departments
· Participate in on-going education and training opportunities
Ability to collaborate with people and synthesize diverse sets of institutional perspectives
Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in all situations and be able to withhold confidential information
· Job may require lifting typical office materials from time to time and may include accepting and transporting in-kind donations
· If using personal vehicle, must have valid driver’s license and appropriate vehicle insurance