Website EMILY's List
EMILY’s List the nation’s largest resource for women in politics
National Press Secretary
Supervisor: VP, Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Union Position: Yes
The National Press Secretary promotes the mission of EMILY’s List and is an advocate for strong, Democratic pro-choice women candidates and elected officials throughout the country. The National Press Secretary serves as the organization’s key contact between the organization and media in Washington, DC and throughout the country.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide effective and proactive stewardship of EMILY’s List mission and endorsed candidates in the media as an on-the-record spokesperson;
Draft materials for the communications department including, but not limited to, briefing materials, press releases, talking points, op-eds, weekly roundups, etc.;
- Secure positive coverage of and media placements for EMILY’s List principals, candidates and surrogates, with an emphasis on broadcast media pitching;
- Create opportunities and events showcasing EMILY’s List staff, accomplishments, endorsed candidates, and mission that generates positive press coverage in varied outlets;
- Be an aggressive and quick-thinking originator of stories to pitch on behalf of EMILY’s List and our endorsed candidates;
- Brief and staff EMILY’s List principals for media appearances and interviews as necessary;
- Develop and strengthen relationships with key reporters in the political, reproductive rights, and women rights arenas to help ensure positive coverage for EMILY’s List and its principals;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences and write quickly and in a compelling manner about multiple topics;
- Energetic ability to multi-task and manage projects in a fast-paced and changeable environment; willingness to invest multiple teams and stakeholders in communications efforts;
- Talented at pitching stories to new and known reporters and placing op-eds and editorials; ability to be quick-on-the-feet and effective in on-the-record engagement with media;
- Ability to use multiple mediums and approaches including new media to create multi-faced and effective campaigns;
- Five years of political and/or advocacy communications work, preferably some at the federal level with demonstrated experience working with or for campaigns;
- Strong, determined team-player with a demonstrated willingness to work hard and take risks;
- Experienced manager of people and processes;
- Deep knowledge of the full media landscape and a voracious appetite for the news, both breaking and ongoing;
- Some travel required;
- Commitment to and passion about electing Democratic pro-choice women, as well as a commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners and staff.
The starting salary range for this position is $90,000 to $112,000 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization.
To apply, please submit your application via our job portal: EMILY’s List – National Press Secretary. Applications received by January 6, 2022 will be given priority. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No calls, please.
Our office is based in Washington, DC. All positions are currently working remotely due to the pandemic.
About EMILY’s List
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, has raised over $700 million to elect Democratic pro-choice women candidates. With a grassroots community of over five million members, EMILY’s List helps Democratic women win competitive campaigns – across the country and up and down the ballot – by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running nearly $50 million in independent expenditures in the last cycle alone, and turning out women voters and voters of color to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country’s first woman as vice president, 157 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 16 governors, and more than 1,300 women to
state and local office. More than 40 percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. After the 2016 election, more than 60,000 women reached out to EMILY’s List about running for office laying the groundwork for
the next decade of candidates for local, state, and national offices. In our effort to elect more women in offices across the country, we have created our Run to Win program, expanded our training program, including a Training Center online, and trained thousands of women.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILY’s List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person holding this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. EMILY’s List reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.