End Corruption. Defend our Republic and Fix our Broken Elections
RepresentUs brings together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to pass powerful state and local laws that fix our broken elections and stop political bribery. Our strategy is central to ending political corruption, extremism, and gridlock.
We are the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization with a mission to stop political bribery, end secret money, and fix our broken elections. Every day we are hard at work to secure crucial victories that are defending our Republic and fixing America’s corrupt political system.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
Democracy is for all, and at RepresentUs, so is our workplace. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to evolving our staff and board to reflect the full diversity of America and the communities we aim to serve. As we seek the best of the best to join our ranks, we welcome applications from all walks of life (including but not limited to BIPOC/people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates) because we know that our democracy-building work has greater impact when we center diverse backgrounds, perspectives and ideologies. Once on the team, we encourage our teammates to bring their whole selves to work. We’re continually working to increase our cultural awareness, strengthen our approach to equity, and foster a climate of inclusion in all that we do. We invite you to belong with us! Read our statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion here. RepresentUs has established the following “foundational agreements.” They are agreements that all staff—and prospective staff—must consider and consent to, in order to work here. Come win with us!
About The Role
Under the direction of the Marketing Director, the Marketing Communications Director will oversee a team that develops and evolves the RepresentUs brand, content and storytelling with the goal to make RepresentUs a household name, showing Americans there is a movement-building organization with a mission to defend our democracy.
The Marketing Communications Director is responsible for building the organization’s brand and storytelling ensuring all public communications are on-message. This role will focus on keeping the nation and decision-makers focused on fixing our corrupt political system and through storytelling, ensuring donors financially support the organization’s long-term work. You will oversee a team of public relations experts, creative experts, manage agencies as needed, and collaborate with all teams to position their work to increase awareness and solidify the reputation of RepresentUs.
Location is flexible, and we currently allow staff to work from home during COVID-19 for safety.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Manage a team of 6–10 staff focused on brand, storytelling and public relations to support the organization’s political, fundraising and movement building goals.
- Develop annual and quarterly communications strategies that meet the organization’s broader strategic vision and goals. Set quarterly team goals, metrics and drive toward tangible results.
- Own the brand and the brand voice, developing and managing RepresentUs’ organizational messaging and campaign talking points, serving as a final approver and lead brand ambassador of the organization.
- Collaborate and provide strategic communications guidance for organizational communications channels, including social media, website, and video/editorial content.
- Oversee annual report development and creation of collateral supporting the organization’s fundraising and storytelling needs.
- Develop communication strategies to enhance RepresentUs reputation, position and brand in the anti-corruption and pro-democracy space.
- Developing and implementing a strategy to engage partnerships and influentials, including celebrities, political and business leaders, and prominent issue advocates.
- Monitoring team activities and results and reporting to the Executive Team.
- Identify, hire and manage external vendors and consultants as needed for project work.
- Executing other responsibilities and tasks as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Proven experience directing communications for a major brand, national nonprofit organization or political campaign with at least 8 years experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with demonstrated success communicating complex political strategies to diverse audiences and building a case for funding support.
- Experience developing communications strategies and talking points that will appeal to conservative, liberal, and independent audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a knack for breaking down complex ideas into compelling, relatable copy.
- Experience hiring and managing staff and teams, with a commitment to developing staff professionally required.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, meeting frequent deadlines.
- Excellent strategic thinking and execution skills; ability to meet goals within a complex and sophisticated landscape.
- Commitment to working beyond partisanship is required. Previous experience working with cross-partisan coalitions is preferred – candidates without this experience will be considered if they can speak to how they would approach working across the aisle.
- Passion for RepresentUs’ mission to make America work for everyone, not just the powerful and well-connected.
- Ability to travel on behalf of the organization as needed (precautions and exceptions will be made during COVID pandemic).
- This is a remote position, and candidates must have consistent access to reliable internet and phone.
RepresentUs is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at RepresentUs.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison at ADA(at)represent.us.
Essential functions of the role include:
– Working from a computer for long periods of time;
– While performing the duties of this job, the employee may also frequently be required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders; and
– This position has 15-25% travel expectations annually.
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health, dental, vision, a health reimbursement account, wellness perks, a dependent care account, a health concierge benefit, a $1,500 professional development stipend, and a retirement benefit. Plus disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
The annual salary range for the Communications Director position is $80,000-94,000.
1. Phone screen (recruitment firm)
2. 1:1 interview
3. Group interview
4. Skills assessment
5. Final interview
6. Reference checks
7. Offer from HR
Please apply online at represent.us/careers and be sure to attach all requested materials. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing ADA@represent.us. No phone calls please.