Website The Hub Project
Reports to: Director
Location: Washington, DC [Remote through December 2021]
Status: Full-time; Exempt – This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit; specific employment terms and conditions are subject to labor-management negotiations and a potential Collective Bargaining Agreement
Salary Range: $70,000-$75,000
Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is made up of a growing team of communications, research, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
The Hub has an immediate opening for a Senior Communications Manager. The Senior Communications Manager will work closely with the Communications Director and Managing Director to develop and implement targeted strategic communications plans that elevate progressive policy ideas and give voice to public campaigns. This person will work alongside department leadership to guide the communications team and mentor junior staff, ensuring consistent application of best practices and trends, and working across departments to deploy materials, monitor progress, and measure impact. The Senior Communications Manager will be responsible for pitching stories to political media and should have strong media relationships and savvy.
Successful candidates will have at least 5 years of relevant political, government agency, political campaign or nonprofit experience.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Drive earned media outreach, including direct pitches and relationship building with national and local reporters.
- Work independently to draft content for communications toolkits, assist with developing messaging guidance and write materials that will help partner organizations amplify specific campaigns and better collaborate around shared goals.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with national and local communications professionals in the field.
- Develop strategies for communications calendars and messaging arcs for campaigns to ensure that the right story is being told at the right time to the right audiences.
- Work cross-functionally to develop and execute roll-outs of campaigns and components of campaigns.
- Design events, press conferences, and rallies to advance the goals of various campaigns.
- Guide and work with the Communications Associate(s) to monitor print, online, and broadcast coverage related to specific campaign issues.
- Guide and work with the Communications Associate(s) to draft press releases, media advisories, and op-eds.
- Collaborate with colleagues on the campaign, research, and digital teams to advance the various campaigns at The Hub Project.
- Responsible for tracking and managing approved budgets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- At least 5 years of demonstrated, relevant work experience ideally in political settings
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Robust network of media relationships and experience pitching political press
- A deep understanding of earned media management and political news and a creative approach to garnering press coverage
- Well organized, with the ability to work autonomously on multiple projects, under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to progressive causes
- Entrepreneurial spirit, strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills
- Flexibility and an openness to evolving responsibilities
Comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
COVID-19 Safety Considerations
We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. However, this position is based in Washington, DC and candidates will be expected to relocate to work in person when determined by the project. (Safety remains our top priority and we continue to follow CDC guidance.)
How to apply
To begin the application process, click “Apply For This Job.” This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.