Website Sierra Club
Director of Supporter Experience
Department: Digital Strategies
Reports to: Deputy Chief Digital Officer
Supervises: Email, Mobile, and Analytics Teams in Digital Strategies department
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Director of Supporter Experience will establish a new team of email, mobile, and analytics experts to integrate Sierra Club’s campaigning and programming into a comprehensive digital subscriber experience.
This is a new senior role inside the Digital department — the Director of Supporter Experience will have the opportunity to build a team and work with existing strategists and practitioners. They will work in close partnership across departments to create a holistic email and mobile strategy to achieve fundraising, narrative, brand, and organizing goals while growing our lists and maintaining their health.
This person will be responsible for establishing a unified voice for the Sierra Club, based on organizational priorities and campaign objectives, and also shaping a data driven vision for the department to consistently evaluate how they communicate with our base and measure impact.
This is a position that requires senior level experience managing large (10+ staff) teams, ideally across the country. We’re looking for someone that is plugged into what’s happening online and offline, a systems thinker that can take large amounts of information and build projects from it. The Director of Supporter Experience should also be highly organized, a strong communicator, and a leader with an equity focused lens that motivates others.
This position directly relates to the 24 hour news cycle which will sometimes require weeknight and weekend hours.
Though no two days are the same, the person in this role should expect to:
- Direct, develop, and execute email and mobile strategy to ensure subscribers are receiving timely, coordinated updates that tell a holistic story about Sierra Club’s work and develop Sierra Club’s voice and online communications in consistency with brand guidelines.
- Hire, coordinate and manage a budget for the various roles associated with supporter experience management throughout the organization, minimizing silos of systems, data, assumptions, hand-offs, performance, and supporter touch points.
- Support and coach managers and analytics team on day-to-day, data-informed decision making, establishing a baseline for sharing analysis, reporting expectations, and audience targeting to meet and report on organizational, team, and individual goals with stakeholders and leadership.
- Collaborate effectively with social, web, and design teams to ensure Sierra Club’s cross-platform strategy reflects quality content in real-time, ensuring all online platforms are optimized for action, user and mobile-friendly, and meet our brand standards.
- Establish new and manage existing relationships on behalf of the Digital Strategies department with partner organizations and coalitions representing key constituencies.
- Act as lead for rapid response mobilization in time sensitive moments.
- Streamline organization-wide processes for email and mobile calendaring, audience segmentation, and a/b testing in order to grow our supporter base through paid and non-paid acquisition tactics and ensure all email and mobile practitioners are provided with strategy curriculums, training, and coaching.
- Work closely with regional networks and state-based leaders in order to form and maintain relationships by supporting needs of regional teams and local affiliates, regionalized national staff, chapter staff, and local SC volunteer groups.
- Model effective equity analysis and practice and have a track record of operationalizing equity, and have embedded justice and equity throughout team/department policies, structures, culture, and programs.
- Other special projects and management assignments as assigned.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this role is $100,000 – $120,000
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 3 exempt position.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
A successful candidate must have the following skills and experiences:
- Demonstrated management experience of large teams (10+) and familiarity managing large budgets ($1m+).
- At least 5 years of experience growing and managing email and mobile programs with a large subscriber base, including email and mobile design, engagement and personalization optimization, inbox placement, welcome and re-engagement tactics, online advertising integration, etc.
- At least 2-3 years of experience with advocacy or electoral campaigns or organization management.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to identify and connect with diverse audiences, translate complex ideas and arguments into everyday language, tell emotionally compelling stories, and move people to action.
- An ability to cultivate internal, external partnerships and foster these connections to develop and inform digital programs.
- Expertise in a range of digital CRMs, tools, and technology in the context of advocacy and organizing campaigns. Salesforce and Mobile Commons experience ideal, but not required.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities, with proven success in managing complex work planning and situations, modeling excellent interpersonal communication, fostering team cultivation and mentorship, and working collaboratively to set and achieve common goals.
- A pulse on what’s happening in the digital field, in public, private, and non-profit sectors.
- Experience using qualitative and quantitative data to evaluate success and improve goals.
In lieu of a cover letter, we ask that you answer these three pre-screening questions along with your application:
Why are you interested in this role at Sierra Club? (150-200 words)
How have you centered equity and inclusion in your previous roles? (150-200 words)
Tell us about a previous digital effort you helped lead – please share the steps you took to develop a strategy, build and manage a digital staff, and effectively engage a large online supporter base. (150-200 words)
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.