Website Sierra Club-North Carolina
Job Title: Political Field Coordinator (Temporary, Part-Time)
Department: North Carolina Chapter
Location: Hybrid; Flexible within the Triangle Area: Chapel Hill, NC; Durham, NC or Raleigh, NC
Reports to: Chapter Director
Duration: 16 weeks
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Political Field Coordinator will work in advance of the November 2022 General Election to ensure the success of the NC Chapter’s electoral program, which is aimed at getting more environmental champions elected to state and local office. Under the guidance of the Chapter Director and Senior Director of Government Affairs, and with support from the Chapter Communications Manager and other temporary field staff, the individual in this role will directly coordinate with Sierra Club endorsed candidates to get out the vote in priority/competitive districts across North Carolina. The Political Field Coordinator will recruit, train, and mobilize grassroots volunteers to use digital, door-to-door, phone banking, direct mail, and other organizing tactics to conduct community outreach, encourage voting, and educate communities on voting processes and local environmental issues. They will also provide staff support for volunteer-led PAC fundraising efforts.
Job Activities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate directly with priority campaigns on get out the vote efforts
Ensure that our support of priority campaigns and the work of temporary organizing staff and NC Sierra Club volunteers are aligned
- Utilize the Voter Action Network (VAN) and peer-to-peer data tools to recruit and motivate Sierra Club members and supporters to volunteer and vote
- Plan, coordinate, and ensure successful execution of text and phone banks, letter-writing campaigns, virtual or door-to-door canvassing and other GOTV activities each day
- Provide skills training, coaching and ongoing support to volunteers
- Ensure that benchmarks for volunteer recruitment, voter outreach and direct engagement are met
- Organize community conversations about local environmental issues, voting processes and our endorsed candidates
- Provide staff support for virtual and in-person PAC fundraising events
- Coordinate with Chapter Communications Manager on direct mail and other outreach to build public awareness about our endorsed candidates
- Track and report progress to manager and volunteer political committee
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Passion for politics and the political process
- Strong communicator with the ability to motivate others
- Experience working on political campaigns and/or with previous get out the vote efforts
- Experience with digital organizing using the Voter Activation Network (VAN), ThruTalk/ThruText, Hustle or similar platforms
Experience using social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube), email communications, and the G-Suite of online tools to mobilize volunteers.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills, and competencies:
- Confident self-starter; can work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to plan and execute on tactics; establish and meet deadlines
Can take and give direction
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this position is $25/hr for approximately 30 hours per week for 16 weeks beginning in August and ending November 14. Must be willing to work weekdays, weekday evenings, and weekends. Overnight travel using personal vehicle may be required (costs will be reimbursed).
This is a category 99, non-exempt, non-represented, temporary, part-time position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.