American Oversight (AO) is seeking an enthusiastic relationship-builder to join our team in the role of strategic partnerships associate and help us shine a light on government misconduct and threats to democracy. We’re a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that uses targeted public records requests and litigation to uncover evidence of corruption, abuse of power, or conflicts of interest.
We have a deep track record of accountability, and have launched wide-ranging investigations into federal, state, and local corruption. The strategic partnerships associate will help American Oversight collaborate extensively with allies and coalitions to promote impact and support existing partnerships. They will be responsible for supporting and maintaining connections with organizations and stakeholders on issues related to American Oversight’s areas of focus. We have a broad portfolio, spanning many issue areas across the federal government and numerous states, therefore comfort across multiple subject matter areas is important.
The strategic partnerships associate must have top-notch written and verbal communication skills, a keen ability to think strategically, and organizational prowess. Collegiality and the ability to work effectively on multiple projects, balance priorities, and excel in a fast-paced, team-based environment are essential. The strategic partnerships associate reports to the strategic partnerships director and is a member of the Communications and External Affairs Team.
- Support the expansion and deepening of our relationships with partners and peer organizations, with a particular focus on our state-based oversight work.
- Represent American Oversight in meetings and coalitions with allied organizations.
- Coordinate with the strategic partnerships director to meet our partnership expansion goals.
- Regularly provide updates to communications staff and the strategic partnerships director to coordinate messaging opportunities and to amplify impact.
- Keep track of partner meetings and coordinate meeting logistics with the strategic partnerships director to make sure AO is fully engaged.
- Support regular report drafting of communications with other organizations to keep AO leadership updated.
- Maintain awareness of the roles and responsibilities of other AO staffers and seek opportunities to include them in our partnerships work.
- Ideal candidates will have approximately two years of experience in similar roles or internships with a track record of successfully working with partners.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders and coalitions.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Confidence to actively participate in shared spaces with partner organizations.
- Entrepreneurial approach to developing relationships.
- Interest in government ethics and accountability.
- Sound judgment in anticipating the reaction of partner groups to our efforts.
- Outstanding ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong project management skills and is detail oriented.
- Quick learner willing to develop fluency across a wide swath of policy areas.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
American Oversight is proudly an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse team. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they have every one of the qualifications listed. We are dedicated to finding the best candidate for the job. Our hiring process is centered on assessing candidates with diverse lived experiences. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described. If you are unsure of whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please contact us to discuss your application.
- The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $60,000, commensurate with experience. Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
- American Oversight is a nonpartisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
- American Oversight is a remote-first organization, and our employees can work from anywhere in the country. Our office in downtown Washington, DC, is an optional workspace when pandemic-related restrictions allow.