New England Health Care Employees Union – District 1199 SEIU
JOB TITLE: Union Organizer – New Organizing
LOCATION: Covering Connecticut
About Us: In these challenging times, when so much wealth and power is concentrated in the hands of so few, it is more important than ever to unite working people with the broader political and social justice movement to achieve respect and dignity, economic and racial equality on the job and in our communities.
District 1199 SEIU is a bold, democratic Union with a long activist tradition. In his remarks at 1199’s Salute to Freedom in 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr stated “Local 1199 represents the authentic conscience of the labor movement.” In recent years, we’ve won a $15/hour standard for thousands of low-wage workers through militant direct-action campaigns, fought racism on the job, campaigned for progressive policy in the state legislature, and engaged in the community around a variety of social justice issues.
As an Organizer, you will be assigned to labor organizing campaigns, trained on the fundamentals of union organizing and will have the opportunity to learn the skills needed to help workers build power in the workplace.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to non-union workers.
• Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
• Identifying, recruiting, and developing worker leaders.
• Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to move organizing campaigns forward.
• Engaging, motivating, and mobilizing workers.
• Planning and carrying out actions and events to support worker organizing efforts
• Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
• Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
• Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
• Basic computer literacy and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools.
• Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
• Willingness to conduct work site and home visits.
• Strong planning, time management and problem-solving skills.
• Willingness to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
• Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
• Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
Compensation: Salary depends on experience. As of 7/1/20 entry-level salary is $50,858.55 per year and benefits include fully employer-paid health benefits package and defined benefit pension plan, $570/month Auto allowance, up to $150 monthly work-related cell phone reimbursement, and other benefits outlined in the policies of 1199 and the staff union contract. This is a full-time, salaried, over-time exempt position.
Application Requirements: A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU 1199NE, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position, and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Job Category: Local Union
Requisition Number: UNION002447
Location: EAST HARTFORD | CT | 06118 | USA