Website Women's Equality Center
Position: Director of Strategy & Communications
Location: Remote (location flexible within the US)
Status: Exempt, Full Time
About Women’s Equality Center
The Women’s Equality Center provides strategic communications and campaign support to the reproductive health, rights, and justice field at all levels, developing long-term, big-picture messaging frameworks around emerging issues and complementing and strengthening the work of organizations in Latin America and the Caribbean via grants, integrated policy and communications campaigns, and rapid-response operations.
For more information, please visit https://www.la-wec.org/.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Strategy & Communications serves as one of two directors of WEC’s communications and media operations across the Latin America and Caribbean region, and serves as a critical adviser on strategy, tactics, and organizational management to the Executive Director. The ideal candidate will bring a creative, proactive approach to political communications and has a proven track record of thinking outside the box. This is a unique opportunity for an innovative, growth-minded, and collaborative candidate.
Key responsibilities for the Director, Strategy and Communications include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a vital strategic partner to the Executive Director, recommending full-fledged strategies for accomplishing organizational goals, including:
Robust analyses of the media, political, public opinion, landscapes in target regions, countries, and localities, and detailed proposals for tactics, timelines, and budgets
- Serve as the communications lead for specific campaigns and country projects, working alongside the political and digital leads to amplify the impact of our campaigns.
- Monitor developments across the Latin America and Caribbean region for opportunities, challenges, and threats with regard to reproductive rights, health, and justice.
- Identify areas in which WEC’s collaboration with partners on policy and strategic communications campaigns could catalyze significant progress, or serve critical defensive roles.
- Participate in the development of the strategic direction and culture of the organization overall as well as internal staffing and hiring, and manage in-house staff and external consultants detailed to this program.
- Execute approved strategies, including deployment and direction of in-house staffing, consulting, and budgetary resources; coordination with partners; and reporting on progress and results to the Executive Director and WEC funders.
- Provide additional support to the Executive Director on matters of organizational strategy and team management on all fronts and at all levels.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and qualities:
- Fluency in Spanish and English, including strong verbal and written abilities in both languages, is required.
- Prior Capitol Hill or US political campaign experience.
- Strong writer and willing to provide assistance with press releases, memos, op eds, and social media.
- Significant experience, demonstrating increasing responsibility in the development, management, and execution of strategies for advancing progressive policy. This can include supporting litigation and other defensive actions, and/or influencing public opinion and catalyzing action on issues of reproductive health/rights/justice or social justice more generally.
- Experience working with, and managing work streams and relationships with, consultants.
- Understanding of the Latin America region, including insight into the politics, public opinion landscape and coalition dynamics of key countries with regard to issues of reproductive and social justice.
- Ability to travel, up to 50% of the time, some of which may occur over weekends.
Additional desired characteristics:
- Proactive and entrepreneurial; you have passion, drive, and are not afraid to take risks; you thrive in a collaborative, dynamic growth environment.
- Multi-tasker and proactive prioritizer; you are happiest when working on many things at once, yet are able to sort through the important from the unimportant.
- Humble but strong sense of self; ability to hold others accountable to achieve goals.
- Strong virtual communication and collaboration skills: Efficiency and comfort with Slack and Google Suite, responsiveness via email, and willingness to participate in weekly group calls or as needed.
Limitations and Disclaimers
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. As a small organization, everyone does a little bit of everything here – no job is too small. We’ve worked very hard to establish an organizational culture based on collaboration, candor, transparency, and a great deal of mutual respect and trust. We take these values very seriously and expect that of any new member of our team.
Salary + Benefits
The salary range for this position is between $120,000 to $153,610, based upon years of experience and education.
Our generous benefits package includes:
4 weeks paid vacation and the week between Christmas and New Year off,
13 paid holidays,
10 days paid personal/sick leave,
Employer paid health/dental/vision insurance,
Access to an Employee Assistance Program for physical and mental well-being,
Up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave,
401k plan with up to 6% retirement match,
Cell phone and fitness stipend,
Professional development stipend,
Short/long term disability insurance, and
A flexible work environment.
Send resumé and cover letter to [email protected],using the following subject line format “Last Name, First Name_Director, Strategy & Communications”. For shortlisted candidates, there will be a writing exercise and up to two additional forms to complete, to which we’ll send you a link when at that stage.
New Venture Fund Careers:
Women’s Equality Center is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to HR@la-wec.org