The Feminist Majority Foundation is the proud publisher of Ms. magazine and sister organization to The Feminist Majority. As jobs are posted on the site, they’ll be tagged FMF / FM / Ms.
Jobs at the Feminist Majority Foundation: Arlington, VA
Internships (Spring / Fall / Summer)
The Feminist Majority Foundation works to achieve women’s social, political, and economic equality around the world; our interns are essential.
Interns perform a wide variety of responsibilities, including monitoring press conferences, research, web and social media outreach and writing, event and community organizing, public policy analysis, organizational networking, media relations, and monitoring Congressional hearings. Each intern works closely with a staff member in order to learn directly from hands on experience and to contribute to substantive projects. All who are interested are encouraged to apply.
Interns in our Washington, DC office have the opportunity to work in one or more of the following areas:
- Choices Feminist Campus Leadership Program Work with FMF’s campus staff to launch pro-choice student groups on college campuses nationwide and conduct outreach to global women’s studies programs. Work on current campus initiatives including: Campaign to Expose Fake Clinics, Global Women’s and Reproductive Rights Campaign, Young Women’s Leadership Conferences, and our Gender Equity in Education Campaign.
- Education Equity Program Work on new efforts to save Title IX, contribute to a national network to help educators increase gender equity, and develop new FMF gender equity materials.
- Girls Learn International Work with FMF’s Girls Learn International program staff to launch GLI Chapters at high schools and middle schools in the U.S. and to identify new Partner Schools abroad. Conduct research and help develop new human rights based curriculum for the program.
- Global Health and Rights Help research and mobilize a feminist constituency on US foreign policy including international family planning,violence against women, sweatshops, peace and the environment.
- Government Relations Work closely with FMF’s Government relations director. Monitor congressional activity, research legislation, and attend committee meetings on the Hill.
- Media Team Contribute stories to the Feminist Daily Newswire, research media contacts and strategy, and develop press materials.
- National Clinic Access Project Be a part of the nation’s largest and oldest clinic defense team. Research and collect data on anti-abortion violence directed at health care workers and patients; monitor anti-abortion websites and literature.
- Web & Communications Team Be a part of an award-winning web team. Plan, organize, and market FMF’s website; research potential partnerships with other websites, participate in online discussions of feminist topics; learn marketable skills in DreamWeaver and Fireworks, and contribute new content to FMF sites. No prior web experience necessary.
To apply, email your resume (including GPA), cover letter, and a writing sample of no more than 3 pages to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interns are accepted for the following periods: Summer (June to August), Fall (September to December), and Spring (January to May). Please specify the internship area in which you would prefer to work in your application packet.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the slots for each session are filled. You can call (703)522-2214 or 1-866-444-3652 with any questions.
Jobs at Ms. Magazine: Beverly Hills, CA
Feminist Majority Foundation has an immediate opening for a full-time Development Associate based in our Los Angeles office. The Development Associate works with the Executive Director in building a larger base of supporters and donors, planning and executing annual fundraising events in Northern California and Los Angeles, and maintaining and expanding foundation funding. This is a full time position.
Requirements: B.A. with a minimum of 2-4 years experience in non-profit development or communications related work, and with a background in women’s organizations and/or politics. Strong written and oral communication skills required, along with outstanding organizational skills, the ability to work with a wide range of individuals, willingness to engage with supporters and volunteers, and the ability to meet deadlines. Applicants should be able to multi-task, work in teams as well as independently, enjoy a fast-paced environment, and demonstrate an ability to set and reset priorities.
The Development Associate will provide general administrative support for the Executive Director: maintain fundraising calendar to ensure all grant proposal, reporting and other deadlines are met; maintain and organize development files; assist with donor and foundation research, grant report and proposal writing; assist with donor correspondence, telephone calls and meeting arrangements; maintain up to date donor contact information; process donor acknowledgments and communications; and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of FileMaker Pro, Word and Excel, and internet research skills a necessity. A graduate degree and/or event planning experience a plus.
If interested, please submit a cover letter, resume (including GPA), and a short writing sample of no more than 3 pages to email@example.com. Excellent benefits package that includes health and dental coverage. FMF is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including people of color, people with disabilities and LBGT individuals.
Ms. Editorial Internship
We’re looking for bright, energetic, resourceful people with excellent research and writing skills. For the print magazine, our interns help gather and fact-check information, work on specific office projects, and participate in creating the magazine’s National News section. For Ms. Online, interns fact-check and photo-research Ms. Blog posts, write several posts weekly, and curate outside content. This is a great opportunity to learn how the editorial side of a non-profit magazine operates — from the inception of an idea to the final printed product — and a great place to gain new feminist perspectives. We have fall, spring, summer, and winter internships; please specify your availability. Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
E-mail a cover letter, resume, 2 journalistic writing samples, and 2 letters of recommendation or 2 references to:
Ms./Feminist Majority Foundation
433 S. Beverly Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
phone: 310. 556.2500
fax: 310. 556.2509
Note: Intern applicants from outside the United States are welcome but if accepted, are responsible for obtaining the documentation necessary for their entry into the United States.