Website Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Salary: $67,000/annually, Plus see below for details on the DPW generous benefits package
Location: Madison, WI (Please note: Employment with the Democratic Party of Wisconsin requires residence or willingness to relocate to the state of Wisconsin.)
Proudly a Bargaining Unit Position with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. During the 2023-24 cycle, WisDems will drive massive programs to defend the Democratic majority in the United States Senate by re-electing Senator Tammy Baldwin, to re-elect President Biden for a second term, elect progressive candidates up and down the ballot, and work to build volunteer-led coalitions for the long term. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As a Youth Organizing Director, you will build local grassroots teams that will then engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment and volunteer retention. You will be responsible for executing a field program that works to elect Democrats up & down the ticket by building & maintaining the local volunteer infrastructure necessary for success in the 2024 Elections and beyond.
- Execute the 2023-24 statewide organizing and outreach program for youth across the state of Wisconsin.
- Create, encourage and coach Youth Action Teams to implement grassroot field tactics, including phone banks, canvasses, community gatherings and other forms of effective actions.
- Help to build and maintain the foundational infrastructure necessary to support candidates, work with Democrats across the state in all elections as needed, and lay the foundation necessary for a strong grassroots infrastructure in the 2024 election cycle.
- Work with and advocate to school administrations and student governments to help adopt ambitious voter registration programs at an institutional level.
- Work to build local grassroots outreach programs which will include, but are not limited to, direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment and retention, developing training & capacity-building programs etc.
- Develop strong relationships with local stakeholders and constituency groups, including College Democrats chapters, Young Democrats, High School Democrats chapters, county party leaders and members, local grassroots organizations and activists, partner and ally groups, and Democratic leaders and candidates.
- Work consistently to do outreach to underserved populations across Wisconsin.
- Meet or exceed metrics based goals for volunteer recruitment & retention as well as direct voter contact.
- During on cycle periods, manage direct reports in all aspects of their work and support their success in the role by conducting relevant coaching conversations, providing and receiving feedback, and creating an inclusive and engaging team culture. More specific tasks could include but are not limited to:
- Managing and reviewing time off requests
- Hiring new team members
- Having constructive conversations with team members on performance
- Building rapport and trust within your team
- Leading projects and delegating tasks
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Management Skills – Ability to manage relationships within your team, bring out the best in your employees, and treat employees equitably across lines of difference; including but not limited to feedback, performance, and engagement.
- Interpersonal Communication Skills – Namely, can connect with others, motivate & quickly gain trust with volunteers, staff, community members, and coalition partners, including in particular across lines of difference.
- Flexible & Adaptable – Ability to work long days with irregular hours. You have the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up your sleeves and getting the work done.
- Technically Proficient – Must be Votebuilder (VAN) & Excel proficient.
Applicants should have access to reliable transportation, and be willing to travel frequently.
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, mileage reimbursement, monthly cell phone stipend, paid vacation days (starting at 10 days), retirement plan with 3% employer match, 4 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQIA+ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Fully vaccinated includes receiving any booster shots recommended by the CDC or other public health authorities within the timeframe recommended. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.