Service Employees International Union
SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Union Organizer-in-Training / Public Sector Campaign
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
The SEIU Organizer-in-Training (OIT) Program is a 12-month training program.
As an Organizer-in-Training with the SEIU, you will be assigned to organizing campaigns, trained on the fundamentals of union organizing and will have the opportunity to learn the skills needed to help workers build power in the workplace.
The OIT program trains labor organizers to assist and empower non-union workers to join unions and is different from other training programs that focus on developing political/electoral or community organizing skills.
We are seeking energetic and passionate individuals interested in starting social justice careers in labor organizing.
* Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to non-union workers.
* Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
* Identifying, recruiting and developing worker leaders.
* Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to move organizing campaigns forward.
* Engaging, motivating and mobilizing workers to take action.
* Planning and carrying out actions and events to support worker organizing efforts.
* Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
* Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
* Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
* Basic computer literacy and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools.
* Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
* Willingness to conduct work site and home visits.
* Strong planning, time-management and problem-solving skills.
* Willingness to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
* Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
* Ability and willingness to travel, as needed.
Benefits and Compensation:
Salary and benefits are set by collective bargaining agreement. Salary is $54,080/annual and benefits include fully employer-paid health benefits package, $570/month car allowance, $60/month cell phone allowance, and other benefits outlined in the policies of SEIU and the staff union contract.
This is a full-time, salaried, over-time exempt position.
If offered an Organizer-in-Training position, you will be required to relocate to Northern Virginia or Washington, D.C. if you currently do not reside in the area.
Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.
Application Requirements: A cover letter is required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.