Website Fossil Free Media
Nonprofit media lab supporting the movement to end fossil fuels
Fossil Free Media (FFM) is a nonprofit media lab that supports the movement to end fossil fuels. We do this by providing strategic communications support for frontline organizations and national coalitions; developing important movement resources, from building online influencer networks to perfecting talking points; and running our own, hard-hitting campaigns that expose industry propaganda and shift public opinion.
We’re looking to hire a Digital and Social Media Manager to support our work. This role will focus on supporting Fossil Free Media’s digital and social media strategies and tactics, especially its new Make Polluters Pay campaign to hold the fossil fuel industry accountable to paying for the growing cost of climate damages.
Our ideal candidate is a talented content creator and digital campaigner who understands fast-paced political environments. We are looking for a team player, creative thinker, and problem solver committed to the fight for climate justice.
- Support Fossil Free Media’s (FFM) work by providing digital and social media communications strategy and execution for our campaigns, including the Make Polluters Pay (MPP) campaign
- Maintain a detailed content calendar, and craft compelling social media content for MPP and other campaign accounts
- Develop materials (i.e. toolkits, digital action alerts, etc.) that support our communications objectives and work with partners to increase the reach of that content
- Work with climate and environmental justice coalition partners in support of shared campaign goals
- Work with online influencer partners and help think of ideas for new and exciting influencer campaigns in support of our goals
- Generate ideas for digital communications tactics that will raise public awareness and demand for lawsuits, Congressional action, and other efforts to hold the fossil fuel industry accountable
- Rapidly respond to news moments
- Help maintain and update our website with the support of external vendors as needed
- Support the work of our network of vendors, including video creators, designers, paid media buyers, developers, and others
- Report on the metrics and performance of FFM’s campaigns and social media accounts
- Support and develop relationships with frontline communities fighting the impacts of climate change and fossil fuel projects in their regions
Required Skills & Qualifications
- 2-4 years of experience in digital communications, including social media management and content creation
- Excellent verbal,written, and interpersonal communications skills. Ability to write for a variety of audiences and platforms
- Excellent copywriting skills including writing and editing persuasive online content
- Basic graphic design skills using Canva, Adobe suite, etc.
- Experience using Action Network, Sprout Social, Hootsuite and other CMS and social marketing platforms
- Strong understanding of current best practices and emerging trends in nonprofit digital advocacy, social media, email marketing, and website and content management
- Comfort working in coalition spaces and with environmental justice and frontline partners
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects at once without sacrificing quality
- Efficient time and workload management skills
- A resilient and flexible team player who is a fast learner, can handle a fast paced, high pressure, highly collaborative team culture
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice, ability to respectfully communicate across cultural differences, and willingness to engage in the transformative work of challenging systems of oppression, institutional and structural racism, and implicit bias.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Experience with paid digital strategies and execution
- Basic video editing skills
- Website development skills
- Understanding of the climate space and issues around fossil fuels, fossil fuel development, and the political landscape of these issues
- Dedication to the climate movement
Contract position: the role will be hired as a contractor with our fiscal sponsor, the Sustainable Markets Foundation
This is a remote working position
This role will be responsible for achieving certain deliverables. There is no set number of hours per week, but we estimate the work will take approximately 40hrs a week
Will report to Fossil Free Media Digital and Social Media Director
Application Deadline: Dec. 15, 2023
Start Date: Immediate (negotiable)
Compensation: $7,000-$8,000/m, 12 month contract; finally salary commensurate with experience
How to Apply: Please apply by sending your resume and an introductory email explaining your background and interest in the role to [email protected] with “digital manager” in the subject line. Women people, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.