Website https://twitter.com/piedmontenviron Piedmont Environmental Council
Title: Advancement Officer
Supervisor: Director of Advancement
Location: Hybrid within PEC’s nine-county region
Job Classification: Full-Time Exempt, 40 hours per week
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC empowers residents to protect what makes the Piedmont a wonderful place, and works with citizens to conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks, promote sustainable energy choices, restore wildlife habitat and improve people’s access to nature.
The Advancement Officer is part of a team of experienced staff, board members and volunteers committed to building PEC’s major donor base. PEC is currently working to reach new constituencies in the region to expand its current base of supporters. The Advancement Officer has a critical role in supporting multiple programs, events and fundraising campaigns.
Areas of Responsibility
The Advancement Officer will report to the Director of Advancement and will be responsible for the duties outlined below:
Major Gift Solicitation:
- Responsible for soliciting gifts of $1,000 and higher.
- Manage relationships with approximately 75 prospective donors.
- Work directly with the President, Advancement staff, Board of Directors, Advancement Committee, and Piedmont Foundation on donor cultivation and major gift fundraising.
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiate contacts with current and potential major gift donors
- Develop individualized and appropriate cultivation strategies for prospects and donors
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Make solicitations when appropriate
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors by adhering to the highest ethical standards, demonstrating empathetic disposition and perseverance, reflecting an optimistic and positive attitude, and conveying sensitivity to their needs
- Stay informed and engaged on PEC’s programmatic work through coordination with field staff and attendance of events and activities that impact the geography of the potential donors.
- Help plan fundraising and programmatic events hosted by PEC and its partner organizations in coordination with PEC’s Meetings & Events
- Coordinator and/or relevant field staff.
- Work collaboratively with and in support of other Advancement staff to cultivate and solicit donors for region-wide priorities and securing support for programs and projects.
- Monitor all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations.
- Enter, update and maintain donor information in Salesforce as needed per contact with donors.
- Bachelor’s degree required and at least five years of experience in major or planned gift fundraising.
- Proven track record of developing relationships with donors and securing major gifts.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of major gift donors in order to develop relationships.
- Demonstrated leadership, flexibility, and ability to manage multi-functional or diverse areas.
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a strong dedication to exercising discretion and maintaining confidentiality in carrying out responsibilities.
- Demonstrated record of completing assignments and making decisions with minimal supervision.
- Interest in conservation and enthusiasm for PEC’s mission.
- Knowledge and experience with Google Apps and Microsoft Office productivity software required; knowledge and experience with Salesforce preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A commitment to service and community and a willingness to participate in practices of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI).
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
Salary range is $90,000 to $105,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
PEC offers an outstanding and robust benefits package including:
- Two health plans (89.75% employer paid premium for employee only on high-deductible plan, 85% employer paid for added dependents on high-deductible plan)
- Short & Long Term Disability*
- Group Term Life*
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity insurances*
- HSA account (with employer match up to $750 per year)
- FSA accounts (health & dependent)
- 403(b) pension plan with employer contribution after 1 year of service with 100% vesting from day one
- 12 paid holidays
- PTO leave – 24 days per year, accrued each pay period
- 1 day per year of paid leave to volunteer at another non-profit or charitable cause
- Salary Continuation Leave for employee or family illness (including maternity and paternity) – from 2 to 8 weeks fully paid leave eligibility every 24 months, depending on length of service
- Paid Bereavement, Jury Duty and Military Service Training leave
- Cell Phone Reimbursement up to $75 per month
- Travel Expense Reimbursement
- Hybrid work environment and Flexible Work Schedules
- Professional Development support
- Payment for relevant licenses & professional membership fees.
*Indicates that this insurance premium is 100% paid by PEC for employee’s coverage.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected].
The Piedmont Environmental Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge of our organization. Diversity of experience and skills, combined with passion, is key to our organizational identity.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted upon your acceptance.
Reasonable ADA accommodations will be made upon request.
Resume reviews begin immediately.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com