Website Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional nonprofit organization whose vision is clean streams and rivers flowing through resilient landscapes, cared for by the people who live, work, and play in the Chesapeake Bay watershed; and whose mission is to bring together communities, companies, and conservationists to improve our lands and waters. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has offices in Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, Washington, D.C., and Richmond, VA.
The Virginia Agriculture Projects Coordinator is a fast-paced full-time position working under the supervision of the Virginia Agriculture Projects Manager. The successful candidate will work directly with farmers and a diverse set of project partners on water quality and climate change mitigation projects, community engagement, riparian and upland reforestation efforts, and more. The Coordinator will also provide strategic support for the Alliance’s broader Agriculture & Forests Programs efforts. Substantial outreach work to farmers and fieldwork (approximately 60%) of the time) is necessary, and, thus, field-savviness is integral to this position.
Specific Duties of the Position:
● Coordinate the planning and implementation of agriculture, forestry, and reforestation best management practices, across mainland Virginia, but mainly in the Ridge and Valley and Piedmont Regions.
- Conduct farmer and landowner outreach.
- Provide direct on-site support as needed, approximately 60% of the work week.
- Coordinate tree planting projects in the field, including planning, planting, maintenance, and monitoring.
- Build and maintain relationships with farmers, landowners, partner organizations, technical service providers, contractors, and federal and state agencies. Facilitate meetings as appropriate.
- Manage communications between various parties involved in project execution.
- Oversee some components of project budgets. As delegated, ensure timely payments, invoices, reimbursements, reporting on associated projects is maintained.
● Support the Alliance’s overall Agriculture and Forests Program strategic efforts
- Pursue funding that enables the Alliance to meet its Strategic Goals through the Agriculture Program and Forests Program. Includes leading and collaborating in multiple, varied, successful grant proposals.
- Participate in Alliance strategic planning efforts, internal committee, and problem-solving oriented teams as assigned.
- Contribute to the Alliance’s various Agriculture Program and Forests Program team efforts.
- Support external facing communications efforts to engage the Alliance’s diverse audiences
● Provide event support, meeting coordination, and other administrative assistance as appropriate.
● Provide assistance in office/facilities management, as needed.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in agricultural science, forestry, environmental science, or other relevant field. A Master’s degree may be substituted for 1 year of experience. Candidates with alternative education, but with extensive professional experience, will also be considered.
● 2+ years relevant professional experience (which may include internships) related to the tasks of this position.
● Experience successfully working with farmers or landowners in agricultural conservation and forestry. Working technical knowledge of agricultural best management practices, forestry and reforestation practices.
● Strong communications skills, internally as part of a team and also with external audiences
● Great time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize tasks
● Problem-solver, objective decision-maker
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and program delivery. The Alliance believes a broad base of participation and partners reflecting all of society is needed to be successful in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed restoration effort. Visit www.allianceforthebay.org/DEI to learn more.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet at least 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Supervision: The Agriculture Projects Coordinator reports directly to the VA Agriculture Projects Manager.
Hours and Location: The Agriculture Projects Coordinator is based at the Alliance’s Richmond, Virginia Office with some ability to work from home. This position requires site visits approximately 60% of the time, primarily across Virginia but occasionally to other parts of the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Some night and weekend work is required. The position is full-time (40 hours per week). Primarily remote-based candidates may be considered.
The Alliance will require the successful applicant to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or proof of a qualifying federal exemption) prior to the candidate’s first day as an Alliance employee. This is not required at time of application.
Salary & Benefits: $47,500 – $52,500, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits (health, dental, and vision insurance, 403b retirement fund, life insurance, professional development opportunities, vacation, sick, and holiday and other leave, and more.
Application: The information listed below should be emailed to [email protected] no later than March 12, 2023. Indicate “Virginia Agriculture Projects Coordinator” in the email subject line. No
telephone inquiries, please.
● Your resume
● A written response to the following prompts:
1. Please describe your experience working with farmers and landowners
2. Please describe your experience coordinating the installation of agricultural best management
practices and reforestation projects
● A list of 3 professional references.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com