Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
This position supports a wide variety of projects with plenty of opportunity to explore and expand skills in marketing, community outreach and board communication. We are a small team with diverse projects. This position supports the team in engaging local landowners and residents on improving their soils, preventing erosion, protecting water quality as well as preserving farmland and providing students with environmental education opportunities. If you have an interest in serving Buncombe County by supporting these initiatives please consider joining our team.
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to be responsible for providing clerical, administrative and technical support for the Department of Agriculture and Land Resources.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Associate degree in Business, Accounting, or related field; minimum two (2) years of progressively increasing administrative experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Provide clerical, administrative, and technical support for the [department, division, or entity]
- Prioritize and resolve inquiries by phone, in person/guests, and email; opens and distributes mail; prepares outgoing mail.
- Process routine payment requests, prepares financial reports as needed; enter financial and billing information into county system; process reconciliations; make bank deposits; process purchase orders, related billings, and other financial reporting.
- Maintain document and correspondence files; maintain computer word processing, database, and financial records.
- Maintain and update social media accounts and the website; may create, publish, and distribute the department newsletter.
- Provide administrative and clerical assistance to the [Board or Advisory Group]; may prepare and mail agenda, reconcile and submit expense reports, maintain attendance records, prepare correspondence, take, and distribute meeting minutes.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Abilities:
- Knowledge of best practices and principles for serving as administrative assistant to related Board or Advisory Group.
- Ability to build working relations with the members of the general public, peers, and other related stakeholders.
- Ability to use computer, printers, and related office equipment along with Microsoft Office software and other programs to generate newsletters and other publications.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
Department:Agriculture and Land Resources
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: August 09, 2022
Salary Range: $20.37 – $24.46
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.