Website Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Purpose of the position:
An employee in this position is responsible for maintaining safety and security of the courthouse and order in the court system to protect judges, jurors, other court personnel, and the public.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Serves as court bailiff for District and Superior Court in maintaining order opening and closing court, and accompanying inmates to and from court.
- Provide security for the courthouse and courtroom participants.
Sequesters and monitors needs, comforts and security of the jury.
- Serves criminal want/warrant services; completes arrest sheets containing necessary identification information; serves subpoenas and appearance bonds.
- May provide security escort to the Clerk’s office for banking purposes.
- Prepare release orders and bond sheets on inmates.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
High School diploma or equivalent. Must be 21 years of age.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
Certification as a law enforcement officer in accordance with the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Training and Standards Commission. Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of modern law enforcement practices and procedures
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws pertaining to law enforcement work
- Knowledge of the locations of streets, roads, highways and the geography and socioeconomic characteristics of the county
- Knowledge of the content and purpose of legal papers and the practices involved in serving them
- Some knowledge of the standard practices, materials, techniques, and equipment associated with the Patrol Division
- Skill in the use of firearms and other law enforcement equipment
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in emergency and routine situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action
- Ability to apply interpretation of laws to specific situations
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports
- Ability to present court testimony effectively
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignment
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date:
Salary Range: 43,451 – 51,833
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.