Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
This position will serve as the Harm Reduction Coordinator in the BCHHS Health Promotions Program and is responsible for planning, coordinating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating public health harm reduction programs and services, including the Syringe Services Program, education and prevention outreach services, linkage to care for persons leaving detention, Post Overdose Response, Behavior Health and MAT/MOUD access. The Reduction Coordinator will collaborate closely with other Buncombe County staff and community partners to support individuals and communities at risk for opioid overdose, Hepatitis C and HIV infection, and poor health outcomes due to unaddressed substance use and mental health needs.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and three (3) years of experience related to the program field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience: None
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: None
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to support the development, implementation, and evaluation of a program and services that support the needs of the community ensuring alignment with department and organizational strategies and goals.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Act as a catalyst in priority areas of program planning and development; monitoring and evaluating to establish priorities and implementation of program objectives to ensure best practices to address community needs and priorities.
- Work as a collaborative team and conduit to engage key shareholders, the community, and the Agency to convey relevant information and build program awareness.
- Partner with the appropriate staff to assure strategic communications that increase awareness of program priorities.
- Design, develop, and prepare documents, reports, and presentations of program to a variety of audiences.
- Promote systems, policies, and practices that support equity for all people and an organizational culture that embraces diversity and inclusion.
May function as contract administrator or contract monitor for any federal, state or foundation grants, as well as liaison for assigned Agreement Addendum and any associated contracts to ensure timely, accurate reporting and progress toward deliverables.
- Synthesize and analyze program data and drive quality process improvements, develop evaluation reports, and presentations.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of the programs and service delivery mechanisms in assigned work area.
- Knowledge of the laws, regulations, and policies that govern program area as well as financial streams supporting program(s).
- Knowledge and skill in both project and performance management.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals, as well as civic, legal, medical, social, and faith-based organizations.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely and to plan and execute work effectively.
- Ability to collect and analyze data and conduct quality analyses and programmatic evaluations.
- Ability to effectively use various complex software applications.
Ability to think analytically; to exercise judgment and discretion in the application and interpretation of personnel policies and procedures.
Knowledge of governmental dynamics and a range of practice models.
Knowledge of organizational culture and resources, both internal to organization and in the community.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Department:Public Health Administration
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: August 14, 2022
Salary Range: $56,599.83 – $69,570.65
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.