Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Purpose of the position:
This position serves as a member of the Information Technology Project Management Office (IT-PMO) and is primarily responsible for organizing and supporting IT projects utilizing project management methodologies and tools of the PMO to identify issues and opportunities within the department to ensure project management standards are followed and department goals are achieved.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or related field and four (4) years of experience managing or leading IT projects; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience:
Project Management Professional (PMP), Six Sigma, SLDC, or Agile certification desirable but not required.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
Possession of a valid NC driver’s license.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Organize and manage all phases of the IT projects to ensure projects runs smoothly and stay on schedule, including developing project charters, project plans, and all other necessary project management documents;
- Work closely with IT line managers to facilitate the definition of project scope, goals, and deliverables; Maintain project timeframes and status reports.
- Lead project team meetings to discuss goals and progress, assign individual responsibilities for project tasks, identify risks, and develop risk mitigation plans; communicate with the PMO Manager on project statuses, issues and risks, process re-engineering, and technology issues.
- Contribute to ongoing IT project leadership process improvement and provide recommendations for project management practices, following industry recognized best practices and project management methodologies as defined by the PMO.
- Plan and oversee the preparation and dissemination of project and other department communications and trainings;
- Provide departmental support including informing decisions related to business operations, process improvements, policy development, and best practices.
- Collaborate with team members to collect and analyze data and provide graphs, infographics, and other methods to visualize project and departmental data; develop and design performance metrics and indicators that demonstrate effectiveness of key initiatives.
- Apply technical knowledge to ensure the alignment, buy-in, and support of diverse project stakeholders such as internal customers, third party vendors, and senior management.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of all phases of project management including the Agile and ITIL management methodologies.
- Must have strong technology, analytical, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with conflict resolution
- Ability to translate and communicate technical concepts, information, plans, and procedures to both technical and non-IT business personnel
- Ability to managing cross-functional technology projects; understand interdependencies of various functional departments within IT to support project plan development that’s achievable by the collective project team
- Proficiency in collaborative project management tools such as Smartsheet, Trello or MS Project
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: August 07, 2022
Salary Range: $68,689.21 – $84,430.51
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.