Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Information Technology Technician I
Purpose of the position:
This primary purpose of this position is to provide a wide range of basic services to support, fix, and maintain the hardware and software of the organization’s computer systems.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Associates degree in Computer Science or related field and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in information systems support; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Additional Training and Experience: Certifications offered by Microsoft and CompTIA are preferred.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: Valid driver’s license is required.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Support all computer installations and new configurations and changes; maintain and repair computers and all related peripheral devices, including moving systems, removing old hardware, setting up new systems, and transferring all user data; maintain an inventory of installed software, and manage software licensing.
- Maintain a ticketing system and prioritize requests; Respond to service requests in person or over the phone; Set up equipment, ensuring proper installation of cables, operating systems, or appropriate software; Install and perform minor repairs to hardware, software, or peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Work with hardware and software vendors to verify timely product delivery and assures new equipment is installed and ready to operate on schedule.
- Provide on-boarding support for new employees; create user accounts and manage access control based on company policy; answer user inquiries regarding computer software or hardware operation to resolve problems.
- Refer major hardware or software problems or defective products to vendors or Tier II or Tier III support for service, occasionally having to refer to Network Engineer or Network Manager.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of practices and procedures involved in the use, maintenance, and repair of computer equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to articulate regulatory and compliance information.
- Knowledge of operation of computer equipment and accompanying technology including, but not limited to, monitors, desktop computers, printers, and other external devices.
- Knowledge of regulations and procedures for disposal of used or outdated computer equipment.
- Ability to read technical manuals; research and maintain a level of knowledge of new technology and equipment.
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions
Ability to evaluate software or hardware and recommends improvements or upgrades.
- Ability to develop training materials and procedures or trains users in the proper use of hardware or software; trains users and develops documentation.
- Ability to Install and perform minor repairs to hardware, software, or peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Ability to set up equipment for employee use, performing or ensuring proper installation of cables, operating systems, or appropriate software.
- Ability to assist with software installs and upgrades.
- Ability to work with venders and refer major hardware or software problems or defective products to vendors or senior staff for service.
- Ability to maintain courteous and tactful relationships co-workers and the general public.
In order to uphold internal pay parity and equity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current Buncombe County employees. All new employees are paid according to their years of relevant education and experience above minimum requirements for the position and employees have the opportunity to obtain pay increases via cost of living increases and promotions.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: September 18, 2022
Salary Range: $22.37 – $25.88
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.