Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Library Specialist – Swannanoa Library
This is a Youth Services position for the Swannanoa Library. In addition to general library duties, this position will be specifically focused on youth services programming and collection development for the Swannanoa Library. Evening and Saturday work is required.
Purpose of the position:
Performs a variety of functions including staffing customer service desks, office support, clerical work and activities involved in providing public and technical services in a library environment. Responsible for planning and implementing weekly programming and collection development materials for specialized service areas.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Master’s degree in library science, information sciences, or a related field; or Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years of experience in a library or related work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience: None
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: None
Essential Functions of the position:
- Plan, present, and manage special events throughout the year, including age-appropriate activities, clubs, paid performers, and presentations by community partners and organizations; may collaborate with other entities to coordinate events and activities.
- Manage an annual programming budget to provide events throughout the year, including age-appropriate activities, clubs, paid performers, and presentations by community partners and organizations.
- Prepare written and visual promotional materials for flyers, press releases, and social media posts; Create visual library displays.
- Assist with collection development by researching and ordering new books, culling books, and reordering damaged materials; provide reference service for a specialized area or collection; assist library users in utilizing a variety of automated and printed sources; may refer complex, in-depth subject requests to supervisor for additional research.
- Check materials in and out, maintain files of materials in circulation, maintain reserve lists and hold notices, and notify patrons when materials are available for pickup.
- Perform a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to: answering phones, responding to routine information requests, assisting patrons in completion of forms, assisting with maintenance of records and other related documents, typing various forms and memos, and filing; Perform cash register transactions for library fines and fees and reconcile cash register receipts with end-of-day proceeds and make bank deposits.
- Attend meetings and participate in community outreach to local organizations through presentations, educational activities, or oral storytelling.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Abilities:
- Knowledge of library policies, procedures, and operations.
- Knowledge of applicable functional areas in relation to overall operation of library.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of library and information science.
- Ability to use and demonstrate understanding of library applications (internal and external) in a networked environment to record and retrieve information.
- Ability to prepare and communicate routine information about assigned functional area.
- Ability to listen and respond appropriately to non-routine inquiries about services offered, supplementary resources, or other relevant information.
- Ability to develop basic instructional materials/finding aids that effectively communicate library practices and technical terminology to facilitate staff and patron use of library technology, resources, and facilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively via a variety of means, to a variety of audiences and audience sizes (one-on-one and with groups)
In order to uphold internal pay parity and equity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current Buncombe County employees. All new employees are paid according to their years of relevant education and experience above minimum requirements for the position and employees have the opportunity to obtain pay increases via cost of living increases and promotions.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: September 14, 2022
Salary Range: $17.79 – $20.77
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.