Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Property Appraiser I
Buncombe County is currently still recruiting for this position. If you have applied previously, you do not need to reapply.
Purpose of the Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to perform advanced clerical and technical work to assess and audit real and/or personal property in an accurate, fair and equitable manner for County tax purposes.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Associates degree in related field and a minimum of one (1) year related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience:
Ability to obtain a passing score on two required courses from the N. C. Department of Revenue for Appraiser Certification within 1 year of hire.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
NC Department of Revenue certification as a Real Property Appraiser within 1 year of employment
Valid NC Driver’s License
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Collect data to list and appraise real and personal property for taxation in accordance with North Carolina General Statutes.
- Maintain accurate records in accordance with NC property tax laws, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare analysis reports related to appraisal data.
- Handle citizen appeals on motor vehicles, real, personal, and business personal property including formal appeals to the Board of Equalization and Review.
- Read and decipher ownership on real property deeds.
- Respond to telephone/e-mail inquiries for real/personal/business listing, motor vehicle and tax office in general.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques used in property appraisal work as required.
- General knowledge of modern office practices and of forms and machines used in the preparation of tax office records. Microsoft office applications and Document Management Software.
- General knowledge of North Carolina Machinery Act and county tax policies concerning listing, assessment, billing, appraising, and appeal processes.
- General knowledge of Deeds and property transfers.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public in explaining tax laws and policies.
- Ability to handle multiple task and work within deadlines.
- Ability to work with taxpayer records with utmost confidentiality as governed by the NC General Statutes and Public Records Law as well as established tax department confidentiality policy.
- Considerable knowledge of the geographical layout of the County.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and procedures of the County Assessor’s Office.
- Considerable knowledge of the three approaches to Market value (Cost, Income, and Market) of real property.
- Ability to use maps and mapping software as needed.
- Ability to prepare and scan records utilizing the County document management software
In order to uphold internal pay parity and equity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current Buncombe County employes. All new employees are paid according to their years of relevant education and experience above minimum requirements for the position and employees have the opportunity to obtain pay increases via Cost of Living increases and promotions.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: September 13, 2022
Salary Range: $21.80 – $25.44
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.