Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Public Health Nurse Supv II
This position will supervise and manage the Nurse-Family Partnership program. The supervisor must have a master’s degree in nursing or another human service field. Candidates who are accepted into a Master’s degree program and commit to completing the program in a reasonable period will be considered.
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide daily advanced level supervision and oversight to employees working in Clinical Service programs within Buncombe County Health and Human Services. This position also includes programmatic responsibilities for assigned programs within clinical services.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience:
Master’s in Nursing and three (3) years of Public Health nursing experience, including at least one (1) year of experience in a supervisory capacity; or Bachelor’s in Nursing which includes a Public Health Nursing rotation and four (4) years of Public Health nursing experience, including at least one (1) year of supervisory experience; OR
a Master’s in Public Health and graduation from a school of professional nursing and three (3) years of Public Health nursing experience, including at least one (1) year of supervisory experience; or graduation from a school of professional nursing and five (5) years of professional nursing experience four (4) of which must have been in Public Health, including at least one (1) year of supervisory experience; OR
an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Additional Training and Experience: Certification in Community Health Nursing desirable but is not required; English/Spanish bi-lingual speakers preferred.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in North Carolina by the NC Board of Nursing.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Personnel Management: Hire, develop, evaluate performance, and provide feedback and disciplinary action as needed; develop and maintain a positive team work environment; provide effective, clear and timely communication.
- Work in conjunction with Clinical Services Administration to ensure the delivery of appropriate medical care and disease surveillance, and ensure adherence to Federal, State, Local, and Agency Practices and Standards.
Ensure that all Clinical Services program policies and procedures are current, available and utilized to enable staff to provide consistent, quality care.
- Assist with Clinical Services program planning, development, budget preparation, staff training and evaluation using state and agency generated data.
- Plan, develop and modify programmatic/operational goals and strategies for implementation to meet the needs of the clients and promote Public Health standards and practices.
- Ensure all standards/policies/procedures pertaining to the diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of client care are implemented and followed; adapt procedures as necessary to meet new or changing conditions; ensure compliance with the Nurse Practice Act.
- Conduct record review audits to ensure care is provided in a safe, thorough and accurate manner.
- Conduct regular individual and group conferences related to client care and practice standards with all levels of professional and non-professional staffs.
- Provide overall coordination of direct and indirect client services; direct the appointment-scheduling process to ensure optimal productivity of the clinical staff and optimal access to services for clients.
- Ensure staffs utilize HIPAA regulations and confidentiality requirements when handling client information and communication.
- Address complaints with regard to client satisfaction and appropriateness of services by staff or clients and make assessment and recommendations for resolution.
- Participate and/or lead Quality Improvement projects as needed or when requested by supervisor.
- Engage community partners and organizations within the community to assure that concerns of Buncombe County citizens are being addressed and to influence the success of program outcomes.
- Serve as a resource to the Medical Director on matters pertaining to clinical practice and on Clinical Services and Disease Control issues for local professionals and lay community.
- Represent the Department of Health and Human Services on various community boards, committees and task forces.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of the organization of Public Health programs at local and state level including knowledge of principles and practice of public health nursing services.
- Thorough knowledge of public health nursing and supervision of staff and programs.
- Knowledge of the resources and organizations concerned with public health work in North Carolina, and current social and economic problems pertaining to public health.
- Considerable knowledge of educational methods and training techniques.
Considerable knowledge of State and federal laws relating to public health.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations regarding handling of client’s charts and client-related communications.
- Ability to make independent judgments and implement the nursing process without immediate supervision.
- Skill in observing, listening, organizing, prioritizing and communicating.
- Knowledge of the community resources and ways of utilizing them to benefit the client.
- Ability to create and maintain an effective follow up and referral system.
- Ability to learn the program area of assignment and all agency programs and services which could affect the client/applicant.
- Ability to analyze and comprehend a variety of technical and administrative regulation, records, and reports.
In order to uphold internal pay parity and equity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current Buncombe County employees. All new employees are paid according to their years of relevant education and experience above minimum requirements for the position and employees have the opportunity to obtain pay increases via cost of living increases and promotions.
Department:Public Health Administration
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: September 27, 2022
Salary Range: $69,337.23 – $85,227.03
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.