Website Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Purpose of the position:
This position is responsible for performing limited semi- skilled manual work in the maintenance, operation, and repair of County buildings, equipment, grounds, and facilities.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
- High school diploma or GED and one (1) year of experience in the maintenance trades, such as HVAC, electric, plumbing, carpentry, masonry or painting; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience:
- SWANA Operator training required within first twelve months of hire.
License or Certification Required:
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina.
- Perform various grounds maintenance tasks including picking up litter, cleaning around recycling centers, and cleaning around tub grinder site and roads; Keep sites groomed and in well maintained status.
- Assist mechanics in performing various repairs to equipment and machinery, including regular cleaning.
- Assist in loading recyclables on trucks.
- Operate motorized lawn mower, pick-up truck, and landfill equipment on an as needed basis.
- Work with all solid waste programs as assigned, including Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain a safe working environment by monitoring safety procedures and equipment.
- Ability to use and care for tools, equipment, and materials employed in the work.
- Ability to review work throughout the work process to ensure that it has been performed properly at completion.
- Ability to collaborate with workers and managers to solve work-related problems.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods as required by work assignments.
- Ability to deal courteously with the general public.
- Ability to work in all types of weather.
- Knowledge of the standard practices, materials, tools, and equipment utilized at the landfill.
- Knowledge of work hazards and applicable safety precautions associated with landfill work.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: July 31, 2022
Salary Range: $19.04 – $22.23
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.