Website Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
This is a part-time regular position and includes pro-rated Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holiday Pay. This position is scheduled to work up to 19 hours per week.
Purpose of the position:
This position provides administrative support in a variety of functions to an individual team, department or other group.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
High School or equivalent; and a minimum of three (3) years of office experience including customer service experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Performs general administrative support including, but not limited to:
- Internal and external customer service; answers phones, providing information, and taking messages.
- Receiving, sorting, opening and distributing mail.
- Maintain appointment calendar(s) and schedule appointments.
- Uses computer and Microsoft Office suite of software along with internal County programs to process information , letters, forms, reports, schedules, emails, manuals , booklets, requisitions , purchase orders , and related paperwork; completes forms and composes letters.
- Establishes and maintains specialized paper and electronic office files; files letters reports and related technical or confidential information in a prescribed manner.
- May accept payments for fees, fines, goods, or services as required by the department and use established regulations for accounting for same.
Depending on departmental assignments, other specific job related duties may be assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the agency and/or program policies, procedures, services and mission.
- Ability to demonstrate and apply this knowledge in performance of office support tasks.
- Ability to explain and interpret program information to clients/customers and staff.
- Working knowledge of data collection and storage to compile, assimilate, and organize printed and electronic information.
- Ability to use correct spelling, punctuation and specialized vocabulary.
Ability to convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups; ability to adjust language or terminology to meet needs of the recipient(s).
- Ability to present ideas in written form; ability to adjust language or terminology to meet needs of the recipient(s); ability to use correct grammar, organization, and structure.
- Ability to utilize office equipment and other technology (software and systems) to meet work needs.
- Ability to facilitate the flow of work and coordinate office support activities with other staff; ability to maintain internal and external contacts for work coordination.
- Ability to understand issues, identify problems and opportunities to determine the appropriate course of action.
Buncombe County offers competitive pay based on a candidate’s experience (DOE).
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: August 07, 2022
Salary Range: $17.00 – $19.97
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.