Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Cataloger
Purpose of the position:
This position is responsible for adding items to the catalog of materials for the County Library System.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Master’s degree in library science, information sciences, or a related field; or Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years of experience in a library or related work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience: Ability to pass the appropriate assessments to gain access to NC Cardinal consortium through the State Library of North Carolina (SLNC).
Essential Functions of the position:
- Provide copy cataloging for all incoming items in accordance with national, state, local standards.
- Prepare various types of items for circulation through physical processing.
- Assist the Head of Technical Services in the maintenance of the catalog through special projects.
- A variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to: answering phones, responding to routine information requests, assisting with maintenance of records and other related documents, typing various forms and memos, and filing;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Abilities:
- Knowledge of library policies, procedures, and operations.
- Knowledge of cataloging systems such as MARC, AACR2, RDA, LCSH and DDC.
- Knowledge of applicable functional areas in relation to overall operation of library.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of library and information science.
- Ability to use and demonstrate understanding of library applications (internal and external) in a networked environment to record and retrieve information.
- Ability to prepare and communicate routine information about assigned functional area.
- Ability to listen and respond appropriately to non-routine inquiries about services offered, supplementary resources, or other relevant information.
Ability to develop basic instructional materials/finding aids that effectively communicate library practices and technical terminology to facilitate staff and patron use of library technology, resources, and facilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively via a variety of means, to a variety of audiences and audience sizes (one-on-one and with groups)
Department:Assistant County Manager
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: September 25, 2022
Salary Range: $17.00 – $19.41
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.