Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Part-Time Library Assistant – Special Collections
The primary function of this position at Buncombe County Special Collections (BCSC) is the digitization and maintenance of still images including photographs and “born digital” material. The person in this position assists other BCSC staff in providing public access to the still images held by BCSC. This part-time position receives pro-rated paid time off and holiday pay; it will also be eligible for the annual cost of living increase.
The preferred schedule for this employee is up to 19 hours per week during the following times:
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to perform a variety of functions for the Buncombe County Library System including staffing customer service desks, office support, clerical work and activities involved in providing public and technical services across multiple library locations.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
High School Diploma/GED and one (1) year library experience or two (2) years in an office setting requiring forward facing customer service duties; or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Additional Training and Experience:None
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: None
Essential Functions of the position:
- Perform a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to: answering phones, responding to routine information requests, assisting patrons in completion of forms, assisting with maintenance of records and other related documents, typing various forms and memos, and filing; Perform cash register transactions for library fines and fees and reconcile cash register receipts with end-of-day proceeds.
- Assist in providing patrons with instruction in the use of various library tools and reference resources, identifying appropriate sources and locating reference needs; Take requests for reserve and inter-library loan books.
- Check materials in and out, maintain files of materials in circulation, and notify patrons when materials are available for pickup.
- Assist with preparation of written and visual promotional materials for flyers, press releases, and social media posts.
- May assist with library programming.
- Create visual library displays that promote literacy and programs.
- Repair torn pages and reinforce spines in damaged books; apply plastic jackets to books; replace damaged cases for audio and video materials; repair and maintain both circulating and reference materials, and recommend items for replacement.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public.
Knowledge of books, magazines, and related materials available to the public.
- Knowledge of library routine and procedures.
- Knowledge of the operation of the library’s online catalog and various types of informational materials in the main or branch library.
Skill in data entry into a computer and operating general office equipment.
- Ability to follow established procedures and to perform work requiring some detail.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with the general public.
In order to uphold internal pay parity and equity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current Buncombe County employees. All new employees are paid according to their years of relevant education and experience above minimum requirements for the position and employees have the opportunity to obtain pay increases via cost of living increases and promotions.
Department:Assistant County Manager
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: September 21, 2022
Salary Range: $17.00 – $18.15
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.