Website Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC)
Sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the official party committee dedicated to electing Democrats to state legislatures. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates and state partners with resources and field support to help lay the groundwork to run smart, winning campaigns. The DLCC has become the leading authority on our ballot level, changing the way Democrats invest in and focus on state legislative races thanks to our new Path to The Majority strategy that focuses on strategic investments to bolster our proven track record and data-driven operation.
We’re powered by over 375,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating in state legislatures across the country and key issues like reproductive health care, LGBTQ+ equality, and voting rights being decided in the states, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Accounting Assistant is an essential member of the Operations team. The Accounting Assistant supports the DLCC’s accounting and financial management functions, including the processing and entry of all daily and weekly contributions to the DLCC and related entities.
The Accounting Assistant reports to the Finance & Compliance Director and frequently works collaboratively with the Deputy Director of Compliance, Compliance Coordinator, Chief Operating Officer, People and Culture Manager, and People and Culture Coordinator as part of our seven-person collaborative Operations team. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and our office has taken on a hybrid model for staff effective January 2022. The position is eligible to be permanently remote.
The Accounting Assistant is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- CREDIBILITY: We are respected and trusted in words and actions.
- INCLUSIVE: The DLCC values the unique experience and perspective of all who work here. We strive to make all contributors feel welcomed, valued, and respected. We focus on outcomes, recognizing different people approach opportunities and challenges differently.
- INITIATIVE: We exhibit high levels of creativity in our work and need all team members to proactively contribute ideas to move our work forward.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: Our team undertakes projects professionally and executes them fully and to completion.
- RISK: We identify opportunities to employ new ideas and tactics, and execute these ideas when we believe the potential reward outweighs
- TEAMWORK: We work collaboratively, additively, and in sync with our colleagues. Our individual work considers the needs, capacity, and expertise of those we work alongside.
- Manage NGP VAN and QuickBooks entry of credit card contributions (from Stripe and Paragon) daily.
- Manage daily and weekly contributor files from ActBlue, Telefund, and Engage, including clean up, organization, and upload of contributor files to NGP;
- Monitor all DLCC affiliated bank accounts for incoming ACH/Wire transfers daily, ensuring the finance team is notified, and transactions are recorded in Quickbooks and NGP.
- Complete monthly DLCC aggregate contribution searches and transfer relevant funds to DLCC High Individual.
- Complete weekly DLCC aggregate contribution searches for Grassroots Victory PAC.
- Prepare daily deposits for the DLCC and related entities and distribute timely deposit logs to key staff.
- Review donations for compliance issues, including Employer/Occupation information requests and other donor correspondence.
- Prepare and keep appropriate records of in-kind activities, including logging in-kinds in NGP, preparing in-kind letters for recipients, and completing relevant banking transfers.
- Manage DLCC’s available match funds for online fundraising.
- Support DLCC QuickBooks reconciliation work completed by accountants.
- Manage billing email and track incoming invoices and accounts payable.
- Process accounts payable for DLCC and related entities weekly, including sending payments and recording debits in QuickBooks, Sage, and NGP.
- Prepare monthly employee credit card program reports and record transactions in Quickbooks & Sage.
- Prepare and send out remittance letters for monetary and in-kind contributions.
- Generate regular cash flow reports, and provide team members with Quickbooks data or Sage Intacct data, as needed.
- Support FEC account reconciliation activities in QuickBooks at the direction of the Finance & Compliance Director.
- Support NGP reconciliations for ALC, at the direction of the Finance & Compliance Director.
- Maintain calendar of state and federal filing deadlines for affiliated entities and registration information on all accounts until a compliance assistant is hired.
- Prepare and send out remittance letters for political contributions to various states until a compliance assistant is hired.
- Records management both online and in office (Compliance, Invoices, and Contracts folder).
- Provide back-up support to the front desk, opening mail, including covering the phones, greeting guests, and event set up, as needed.
- Update invalid mailing addresses in NGP.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Data entry is both timely and accurate.
- Ensure NGP Van data is clean and donor records are de-duplicated weekly.
- Ensure QuickBooks Online and Sage income records are updated daily.
- On-site financial records are secure and organized.
- Provides clear and transparent communications to all stakeholders.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets; proven ability to learn new software applications.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent diplomacy and tact.
- Willingness to learn and ask questions.
- This is not an entry-level position, a minimum of 1 year experience in a professional setting is required.
- Familiarity with Sage Intacct or similar accounting and financial management software is preferred.
- Experience assembling data financial reports is preferred.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, Heather Kashner.
Essential Functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in-person with stakeholders; and
- This position has less than 5% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
Salary for the Accounting Assistant is $51,000 – $56,000 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefits package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days.
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents.
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution.
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region.
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account.
- Up to $5,000 employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for IVF-related costs or Adoption Assistance, and up to $2,500 for employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for out-of-pocket dental and orthodontic expenses.
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit.
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement.
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application by May 12, 2023. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by May 12, 2023. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls, please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.