Website Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC)
Sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built eight new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, and data necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can engage supporters across the country and prepare for victories in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country and redistricting happening this year, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace, and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The DLCC is seeking a Press Assistant to join our Communications Department. The DLCC’s communication and press team is working to share the DLCC’s incredible achievements and work with outlets across the country to influence key legislative races. The Press Assistant is responsible for working within the press team to successfully execute the DLCC’s narrative and highlight the work of Democratic legislatures across the country. The role will work within the press team to drive the organization’s narrative, craft written materials, and monitor the media landscape nationally and in DLCC target states.
The Press Assistant reports to the National Press Secretary. This position is based in Washington, DC, however, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, working remotely is allowed for all staff through January 2022. This position is eligible for flexible work arrangements in which the Press Assistant can split their time working from the office and home.
The Press Assistant is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- Results Driven
- Maintain and grow our national and regional press lists.
- Assist with drafting and editing external and internal communications, including but not limited to: press releases, talking points, memos, newsletters, op-eds, and public remarks for the President.
- Assist in managing and responding to press inquiries.
- Coordinate with Digital staff to support the DLCC’s message online and help ensure the organization is executing a seamless and integrated cross-channel communications plan.
- Monitor news and compile daily press clips.
- Assist in drafting rapid response and executing press opportunities.
- Provide back-up support to the front desk if located in DC, including covering the phones, greeting guests, and event set up, as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Increased recognition of the DLCC’s message, work, and impact through press, media, and communications outreach.
- Engaged new media opportunities that proliferate the successes and messaging of the organization.
- DLCC staff and voices are aligned on messaging, talking points, and priorities.
- Personal professional growth and the opportunity for advancement on the Communications team.
- One year of prior relevant experience, which may be met by academic or other experiences. Interest in gaining experience with political communications is required.
- Excellent writing skills.
- The ability to work under tight deadlines and respond to rapid requests.
- The ability to translate complex topics and information into compelling messaging materials (ability to educate reporters and surrogates about what we do, what a caucus is, why it’s important, etc.).
- A demonstrated ability to think creatively and out of the box (crucial for breaking through in the media by tying state legislative news to national news narrative).
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders; and
- This position has less than 5% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
Salary for the Press Assistant position is $48,000 – $53,000 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days;
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents;
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution;
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region;
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account;
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit;
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement;
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application at https://www.dlcc.org/careers by November 5, 2021. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by November 5, 2021. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to engaging, retaining, and supporting a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.