Website Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC)
Sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built eight new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, and data necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can engage supporters across the country and prepare for victories in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country and redistricting happening this year, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace, and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Senior Political Projects Manager supports the DLCC’s electoral efforts by building systems internally to track electoral work. The Senior Political Projects Manager works with our Regional Political Directors (RPDs) to help track electoral work across their states.
Using strong organizational and prioritization skills, the Senior Political Projects Manager is expected to balance multiple priorities, from concept to completion, while working independently on projects as assigned. The Senior Political Projects Manager must be able to work under pressure while handling a wide variety of projects and responsibilities, many of which contain confidential information that is expected to be handled with discretion.
The Senior Political Projects Manager reports to the Deputy Political Director. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and our office has taken on a hybrid model for staff effective January 2022. This position is eligible to be permanently remote.
The Senior Political Projects Manager is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- CREDIBILITY: We are respected and trusted in words and actions.
- INCLUSIVE: The DLCC values the unique experience and perspective of all who work here. We strive to make all contributors feel welcomed, valued, and respected. We focus on outcomes, recognizing different people approach opportunities and challenges differently.
- INITIATIVE: We exhibit high levels of creativity in our work and need all team members to proactively contribute ideas to move our work forward.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: Our team undertakes projects professionally and executes them fully and to completion.
- RISK: We identify opportunities to employ new ideas and tactics, and execute these ideas when we believe the potential reward outweighs the risk. We evaluate, learn, and improve our strategy, both when the risks pay off and when they do not.
- TEAMWORK: We work collaboratively, additively, and in sync with our colleagues. Our individual work considers the needs, capacity, and expertise of those we work alongside.
- Build out systems for tracking political intelligence from DLCC’s political work, state partners, and publicly available data sets. This includes but is not limited to:
- Tracking candidate filings and primary results.
Creating and updating election-related data products (requiring collaboration with DLCC Data & Analytics team).
- Implementing systems to track key programmatic and budget gap information in target chambers.
- Tracking candidate filings and primary results.
- Act as the lead staff member in the Political Department to provide support to the Regional Political Directors.
- Monitor and synthesize relevant remaining redistricting data from internal and external stakeholders and provide recommendations for DLCC engagement.
- Build periodic redistricting litigation reports in consultation with members of the political team and other departments for department heads and leadership to make strategic organizational decisions.
- Identify, aggregate, and present data and information in digestible formats for various internal and external audiences to educate, persuade, and/or support decision making as needed.
- Regional Political Directors have systems that help them maintain political intelligence within their state portfolios for use internally and to communicate easily and effectively to external audiences.
- DLCC department heads and leadership have a clear understanding, in real-time, of the progress on redistricting in key states.
- There is strong coordination and collaboration with other departments particularly Data and Analytics and Research to provide an accurate understanding of what is happening in states and targeted chambers.
- Stakeholders have needed intelligence compiled to understand key opportunities for engagement in states.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in either a political or mission-driven non-profit setting, with proven experience building out reporting systems or tracking critical information.
- Experience in at least one competitive electoral campaign at the state or federal level.
- Excellent computer skills; proven ability to learn new software applications, including expert proficiency in google office suite and experience building tracking systems using spreadsheets. Experience with project management software is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage long and short-term projects, holding other team members accountable to deliverables and deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience working in collaboration with other team members and other departments.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Willingness to learn and ask questions and a proactive drive to move work forward.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
Working from a computer for long periods of time;
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in-person with stakeholders; and
This position has less than 5% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
Salary for the Senior Political Projects Manager position is $78,000 – $85,000
on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefits package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days.
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents.
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution.
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region.
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account.
- Up to $5,000 employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for IVF-related costs or Adoption Assistance, and up to $2,500 for employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for out-of-pocket dental and orthodontic expenses.
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit.
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement.
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application at https://www.dlcc.org/careers by May 13, 2022. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by May 13, 2022. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls, please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to engaging, retaining, and supporting a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
To apply for this job please visit dlcc.orghttps.