Deputy Communications Director
The Texas Democratic Party is seeking a deputy communications director to join our communications team in Austin, Texas. We’re looking for a communications professional who is passionate about fighting Trump Republicans in Texas, electing Democrats up and down the ballot, working on the ground to build Texas Democratic Party infrastructure, and shouting “Texas is the biggest battleground state.”
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Interact with press and media outlets to develop news articles, promote the Democratic platform, and garner interest in candidates and campaigns;
- Serve as on-record spokesperson for the Texas Democratic Party.
- Help with media training and messaging guidance for local county parties and our candidates;
- Tell the story of Texas Democrats;
- Write press releases and media advisories;
- Media tracking on statewide candidates;
- Coordinate state press events, field interview requests with Party staff;
- Evaluate current events, news opportunities, and media trends;
- Drafting memos, talking points, and rapid response documents;
- Monitoring election activity around the state;
- Cultivate and manage press lists, both locally and nationally;
- Update website, social media when needed;
- Performing additional specific research responsibilities, as directed by the Communications Director.
- Understanding of Texas and national media markets and media norms;
- Analytical and communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with writing, editing, and speaking abilities;
- Ability to manage multiple projects;
- Works well under pressure.
- At least 2 previous cycles of campaign communications experience.
The deputy communications director will report to the communications director while working with digital, finance, voter protection, and political departments. Some travel required. Applicants must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
As soon as possible
Must be able to start on or before July 15
Employment Type: Cycle
How to apply:txdem.co/apply-dcd