Website Kouvenda Media
Seeking: Development & Engagement Consultant
Independent women-led podcast production house Kouvenda Media is seeking an independent contractor to support underwriting, distribution and audience development expertise in planning, distribution, outreach and analytics.
This individual will both manage our general/ongoing social content for our feeds and build an audience development and advertising plan for the launch of our Obscured investigative podcast initiative.
Obscured will focus on elevating under-reported stories about critical issues that unfold largely out of public view. Our intended audience is anyone interested in long-form journalism about public policy outside of the daily news cycle.
The ideal candidate:
- Has experience running digital engagement/marketing campaigns
- Understanding of how to secure ad/underwriting support for podcasts
- Is passionate about high-impact journalism and its capacity to broaden knowledge, catalyze public scrutiny, drive accountability and shift policy
- Is available for a short-term, four-month engagement with the potential to renew
1. Develop campaign and lead implementation around the launch of Obscured starting this summer.
- The consultant will work off of our current influencer map to build rapport, develop a strategy for placement and/or cross-promotion for Obscured on other podcasts as well as social media
- Execute the digital engagement strategy based on Kouvenda Media’s existing blueprint
- Research — and develop strategy for securing — underwriting support and paid placement and distribution on podcast platforms, in particular, as well as social media channels and other relevant spaces
The consultant will work with our two-person team, other contract employees and partners to help identify and reach target audiences for our young brand on social media channels (primarily Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram)
- Manage the social media component of Kouvenda Media’s editorial calendar to distribute content from KM, its products and partners
- Schedule and post to Kouvenda Media social media channels to increase brand awareness, grow audience and engage with partners
- Analyze metrics to inform plan to broaden reach, increase engagement and meet other goals developed in partnership with KM team and, when warranted, clients and partners
- Respond to comments, share and retweet relevant posts in a timely manner
- Research and directly engage social media groups, pages and other like-minded spaces that meet KM’s target audience as well as niche audiences specific to reporting topics
If you don’t meet 100% of this role’s qualifications but you’re passionate about our work, you should still seriously consider applying.
- Demonstrated mastery of best practices for social media and audience engagement, specifically via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, in addition to managing integration of emerging platforms
- Strong writing and self-editing skills and confidence to post on the fly when needed, while sticking to the brand strategy and identity
- Basic knowledge of and access to design and photo editing software (e.g.Illustrator, Photoshop and Canva)
- Experience running public policy-oriented audience engagement/social media campaigns
- Experience with underwriting support and paid placement and distribution on podcast platforms
- Understanding of Facebook and Instagram advertising and paid content distribution
- Experience managing — or helping manage — an editorial calendar
- Previous experience working with audio/podcast content
This contract position is for approximately 20-30 hours per month for four months, with the potential to renew beyond that. This is a remote work position with flexible hours and an expectation to be available for weekly phone calls.
Payment: Rate commensurate with experience (see below); contract paid in four monthly installments.
Apply: Please submit a proposal to [email protected] by March 20, 2023.
Your proposal should include:
- A brief statement of interest
- A page outlining your Obscured podcast launch and outreach plan and a three-month timeline for implementation
- Your rate/budget
- Past examples of social media campaigns for launching and/or promoting longform content (podcasts especially, if applicable), and any other relevant content you’d like to share
- A resume or CV
- References from people you have worked with before
About us: Kouvenda Media is an independently owned and women-led production house dedicated to creating in-depth podcasts. We produce thoughtful and engaging content informed by deep research and reporting, data analysis, extensive conversations and personal narratives.
Our business model is built on working with social change-minded organizations and media partners to create content that adds value to our communities outside of the daily news cycle. The revenue we earn helps support our public policy journalism, including our forthcoming Obscured podcast that tells stories about critical issues from unexplored or under-reported angles. Learn more here.
Women and members of Black, Indigenous and people of color communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Kouvenda Media is an equal opportunity employer. Kouvenda Media does not discriminate against or tolerate harassment of any employee because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by law, or protected activity under the anti-discrimination statutes.