Major Gifts Manager
MADRE is an international human rights organization that strengthens communities locally by centering the expertise of women and girls within them. MADRE builds sustainable, networked partnerships, and champions equity through systemic policy solutions and funding. MADRE integrates grantmaking, capacity bridging, and legal advocacy to achieve its goals. Since its founding in 1983, MADRE has provided more than $65 million in grants to support women and girls in more than 40 countries.
Learn more about MADRE’s work at: https://www.madre.org/.
The Major Gifts Manager (MGM) will primarily work to secure annual gifts of $5,000+ and multi-year gifts from individual donors and prospects to bolster our fundraising efforts. This includes identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding their own portfolio of donors and prospects, implementing targeted strategies they develop.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Individual Giving and working closely with senior leadership, the Major Gifts Manager (MGM) is responsible for managing and growing MADRE’s Major Donor program and working collaboratively with the Development and Communications, Marketing and Information Systems teams to create and implement strategies that result in greater individual giving at the major giving level.
- Establish goals, develop activities, and create programming to maintain and grow MADRE’s Major Donor program.
- Set annual revenue projections for each major donor and develop and execute plans to manage and grow each relationship, emphasizing upgrading donors and securing multi-year commitments.
- Steward, solicit and cultivate a portfolio of about 150 major donors while providing assistance in strategy development to the Executive Director and Senior Director of External Affairs with stewardship and cultivation of additional high-net-worth supporters and prospects.
- Prepare strategy and talking points for the major donor meetings of the Executive Director and Senior Director of External Affairs and attend meetings when appropriate.
- Analyze revenue progress reports submitted by the Individual Giving Associate on $5,000+ and multi-year giving; routinely evaluate and adjust strategy based on progress towards established goals.
- Work closely with Individual Giving Associate on high-level major donor-centric reports, such as the annual major donor analysis report.
- Understand MADRE’s mission, goals, and programming to effectively identify, research, monitor, and engage prospective donors.
- Manage all major donor communications to ensure excellent stewardship of the major donor portfolio; create and execute compelling communications, such as renewal letters, program updates, emails, and proposals for individuals, family foundations, and donor-advised funds in collaboration with the Institutional Giving team where necessary.
- With the Individual Giving team, contribute to the ideation and the execution of donor events, large and small, while playing a key project management role for events related to the major giving level.
- In close coordination with the Individual Giving Coordinator, provide input to direct mail strategy related to major donor-specific outreach, including editing mailings as appropriate for major donors and suggesting segmentation.
- Participate in Board Development & Visibility Committee meetings to help guide and support the Committee’s fundraising efforts.
- A Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree in a related field or equivalent years of experience.
- Minimum 5+ years of development/fundraising experience with a proven track record of closing gifts at the major gift level.
- Creative and independent strategic thinker with the ability to proactively develop new ideas, cultivate buy-in with other staff members, and manage implementation and assessment.
- Superb interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively and build relationships with internal and external constituencies, including colleagues, and current and prospective donors.
- Superior written and oral communication skills to express MADRE’s mission and goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with computer programs that support the development team, including Google Suite and donor database systems (experience using Salesforce preferred).
- Strong work ethic, evidence of excellent judgment, attention to detail, and demonstrable personal integrity.
- Passionate about MADRE’s mission; committed to teamwork and achieving results.
This role requires eligibility to work in the United States. It will require occasional in-person meetings at MADRE’s headquarters in New York City and an in-person all-staff retreat.
The full-time salary is $80,000, please note there is no flexibility on compensation as our goal is remain equitable with our starting salaries. This is a union-represented position.
We’re proud to offer our employees an exceptional benefits package that is robust, inclusive, and progressive. Our comprehensive benefits package, includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Insurance – Employee and dependent coverage paid 100% by MADRE
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Flexible Work Options
- Generous Leave Policies (incl. Vacation, Sick, Holiday Leave, and Parental Leave)
Please apply and submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials by September 7th, 2023. Submissions are reviewed on a rolling basis until the search is successful.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Black, Indigenous, People of Color, recent immigrants, persons with disabilities, LGBTIQ+ people, and other historically marginalized people from under-represented backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence by integrating an intersectional justice lens into all our recruitment efforts.
Studies have shown that people from historically marginalized groups are less likely to apply for specific positions unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications listed in a job description. MADRE values lived experience and are highly committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization that centers on intersectional justice. We actively seek to reach candidates from directly impacted communities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org