· Salary: $80,000
· Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package offered that is robust, inclusive, and progressive.
Application Process: To apply, please submit: (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume, and (3) references to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until 11/16/2022. Email Subject Line: Major Gifts Manager
MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization and feminist fund that partners with community-based women’s groups in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East who face war and disaster. MADRE works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; resources are shared equitably and sustainably; women participate effectively in all aspects of society, and people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE offers a comprehensive model of support to our grassroots partners using three interconnected strategies—grantmaking, organizational strengthening, and legal advocacy—to meet urgent needs and create opportunities for women and girls in marginalized communities to assert their agency and voice.
Using these strategies, MADRE provides long-term and flexible financial and direct service support to community-based women’s and girls’ groups that have been historically marginalized. Many of them are largely under the radar of traditional philanthropy and/or where conflict or disaster have rendered them difficult to fund and challenging to reach. We work at the intersection of three program areas—Ending Gender Violence, Advancing Climate Justice, and Building a Just Peace—and across five priority communities who are disproportionately marginalized: young women and girls, Indigenous women, Afro-descendant women, LGBTIQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
The first grant maker to hundreds of organizations, in MADRE’s nearly 40-year history, we have disbursed over $58 million in grants and in-kind support to organizations across the globe.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Individual Giving and working closely with the Executive Director, the Major Gifts Manager (MGM) is responsible for managing and growing MADRE’s Major Donor program and working collaboratively with the Development and Communications, Marketing and Information Systems teams to create and implement strategies that result in greater individual giving at the major giving level. The MGM will primarily work to secure annual gifts of $1,000+ and multi-year gifts from individual donors and prospects to bolster our fundraising efforts. This includes identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding their own portfolio of donors and prospects, implementing targeted strategies they develop.
The MGM is skillful in building and managing relationships with a wide range of individuals, including major donors, prospects, and colleagues. The individual should be charismatic, creative, organized, and goal oriented; exhibit a high level of professionalism and maturity; display superb written and oral communication skills, including a track record of managing a portfolio of donors at the $1K+ level; demonstrate immaculate attention to detail; and be able to multitask and meet deadlines. A strong background or interest in human rights is essential.
Scope of Work under this Position:
· Establish goals, develop activities, and create programming to maintain and grow MADRE’s Major Donor program.
· Set annual revenue projections for each major donor and develop and execute plans to manage and grow each relationship, with an emphasis on upgrading donors and securing multi-year commitments.
· Steward, solicit, and cultivate a portfolio of about 450 major donors, while providing assistance in strategy development to the Executive Director with stewardship and cultivation of additional high net worth supporters and prospects.
· Prepare strategy and talking points for Executive Director’s major donor meetings and attend meetings when appropriate.
· Responsible for post-gift outreach and stewardship.
· Analyze revenue progress reports submitted by the Individual Giving Associate on $1,000+ and multi-year giving; routinely evaluate and adjust strategy based on progress towards established goals.
· Work closely with Individual Giving Associate on high-level major donor-centric reports, such as the annual major donor analysis report.
· Understand MADRE’s mission, goals, and programming to effectively identify, research, monitor, and engage prospective donors.
· Collaborate with Individual Giving Coordinator to oversee a pipeline of prospects and lower-level donors for major giving tracked and cultivated by the Individual Giving Coordinator.
· Manage all major donor communications to ensure excellent stewardship of the major donor portfolio; create and execute compelling communications, such as renewal letters, program updates, emails, and proposals for individuals, family foundations and donor advised funds in collaboration with the Institutional Giving team where necessary.
· With the Individual Giving team, contribute to the ideation and the execution of donor events, large and small, while playing a key project management role for events related to the major giving level.
· Collaborate with team on other development-related events.
· In close coordination with the Individual Giving Coordinator, provide input to direct mail strategy as it relates to major donor-specific outreach, including editing content of mailings as appropriate for major donors and suggesting segmentation.
· Participate in Board Development & Visibility Committee meetings to help guide and support the Committee’s fundraising efforts.
· A Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree in a related field or equivalent years of experience.
· Minimum 5+ years of development/fundraising experience with a proven track record of closing gifts at the major gift level.
· Creative and independent strategic thinker with ability to proactively develop new ideas, cultivate buy-in with other staff members, and manage implementation and assessment.
· Superb interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively and build relationships with internal and external constituencies, including colleagues, current and prospective donors.
· Superior written and oral communication skills to express MADRE’s mission and goals
with clarity, passion, and persuasion.
· Advanced knowledge and experience with computer programs that support the development team, including Google Suite and donor database systems (experience using Salesforce preferred).
· Strong work ethic, evidence of excellent judgment, attention to detail, and demonstrable personal integrity.
· Passionate about MADRE’s mission; committed to teamwork and achieving results.
Position Location: This role requires the eligibility to work in the U.S. While this job may be remote in the tri-state area, it will require occasional in-person meetings at MADRE’s headquarters in New York City and in-person engagement with supporters. Minimal domestic and international travel may be involved.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, prohibits discrimination of any status or characteristics protected by law, and is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTIQ people, and women are all especially encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. MADRE is committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage applications, even if every one of the qualifications described are not met.