Website Majority Action
POSITION: Communications Strategist
LOCATION: Flexible/Remote. We primarily work on an Eastern time zone schedule with flexibility for other U.S. zones.
REPORTS TO: Communications Director
ABOUT MAJORITY ACTION
Majority Action is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering shareholders of all sizes to hold corporations and their leaders accountable to high standards of long-term value creation, corporate governance, and social responsibility.
Our campaigns expose harmful corporate governance and behavior, catalyze investor and public action, and confront the minority who make corporate abuses possible to defend the long-term financial, environmental, and social interests of the majority.
While Majority Action is not a traditional membership-based organization; the team works in close partnership with grassroots organizations. We work together to develop strategies and execute tactics that support everyday people making their power felt in corporate boardrooms. Learn more at www.majorityaction.us.
Majority Action staff collectively believe that transformational change is possible, and that achieving such change requires tenacity, creativity, rigor, and collaboration. We strive to balance strategic pragmatism to advance campaigns with the courage to challenge ideas and systems that undermine sustainability, equity, and inclusion.
OUR TEAM VALUES
- Integrity in our relationships
- Asking hard questions, and adapting based on what we learn
- Excellence in our work
- Nimbleness and strategic flexibility in the face of challenge
- Deep, equitable, and mutually beneficial partnerships
- Working with awareness of and respect for our needs
ABOUT THE ROLE
Majority Action campaigns to transform corporate behavior on climate change, racial justice, and inequality. We do this by weaving together investigative research, institutional investor engagement, strategic communications, and grassroots partnerships into integrated strategic campaigns to hold corporate boards and large asset managers accountable.
In coordination with the Campaigns, Research, Policy and Advocacy, and Investor Engagement teams and our communications agency, A–-B Partners, the Communications Strategist will craft and oversee the production of persuasive content to ensure that Majority Action speaks with one voice across multiple channels to maximize the impact of our campaigns.
The Communications Strategist will play a key role in using storytelling to communicate the consequences of corporate inaction on climate change and the impact on individuals and communities of the continued corporate maintenance of structural racism in the economy. The Strategist must also act as translator, making legible the human impact of racism and climate inaction for an investor audience, while also communicating the opportunity for powerful campaigns in the investor and corporate accountability space to progressive social movement audiences.
This position reports to the Communications Director. While the Communications Director position is currently vacant the Strategist will report to the Chief Program Officer in the interim.
Irresponsible corporate behavior disproportionately harms communities of color, working class communities, women, and LGBTQ people. Centering diverse perspectives is critical to breaking down systemic structures of oppression and holding those in power accountable. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Create measurable results by owning the execution of Majority Action’s organizational communications strategy across platforms, in partnership with its agency of record
- Craft and edit concise and effective content to accurately reflect the voice and tone of the organization, including press releases, reports, op-eds, email newsletters, website copy, and social media posts
- Develop and implement clear and consistent messaging across platforms that reframes the debate and creates the conditions for winning campaigns and advancing Majority Action’s strategic priorities
- In collaboration with Majority Action campaigns and leadership, own the development and execution of a comprehensive content calendar, ensuring a consistent flow of engaging and impactful content across all digital platforms.
- Anticipate scenarios that require rapid response and anchor the organization in responding to campaign or contextual moments
- Oversee website redevelopment and update following the completion of new brand guidelines, and manage the work of contractors on website development
- Oversee creative production of visual and other content in partnership with A–B Partners
- Foster a culture of storytelling by building strong, trusting relationships with teammates and movement partners
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL DEMONSTRATE
- At least 4 years of communications experience, with a track record of executing persuasive multi-channel communications plans that achieve desired outcomes in an issue campaigning, labor, or nonprofit context
- Excellent storytelling and written communication skills, with the ability to distill complex concepts into clear and explainable statements
- Exceptional attention to detail, comfort with complexity, and intellectual curiosity
- An entrepreneurial spirit and proactive approach to project management, with experience building out frameworks, templates, and processes to codify and simplify work
- Hands-on experience executing and ensuring consistency of a brand or organization’s tone of voice and messaging strategy across multiple channels and audiences
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders to execute in both rapid response and contribute to long-term campaign ideation and execution
- Proficiency in content management systems (CMS) and website maintenance.
- Familiarity with social media management tools and analytics platforms to measure engagement and track performance.
- Deep commitment to racial, economic, and climate justice with a demonstrated record of prioritizing racial equity in the development and execution of communication strategies and tactics.
How To Apply
Provide a cover letter, resumé and two writing samples for an external audience. These could include articles, press releases, blog posts, social media posts, presentations, infographics, speaking notes or talking points. Please don’t create anything new, we want to see examples of your work already out in the world.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time, Exempt position based anywhere in the US. While we are a fully remote organization, COVID vaccinations are required for in-person meetings and work. The salary range for this position is $80,000-100,000 annually.
Majority Action is proud to offer the following:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Life insurance
- Long-/short-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 12 weeks, paid parental leave
- Home office stipend
- 401k Safe Harbor Plan – Employer contributes 3% for all employees
- Professional development opportunities
This is a full-time exempt position. Majority Action is an equal opportunity employer. Majority Action prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law. If you require reasonable accommodations for a disability so that you may participate in the selection process, please email [email protected].
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.