Website napawf National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum
Focused on building power with AAPI women and girls.
Title: Bilingual Canvasser, St. Petersburg, FL (Part-Time)
Reports to: Florida Organizing Manager
Work Schedule: 10 hours per week
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Hourly Rate: $20 / hour
Position End Date: November 30, 2023
NAPAWF is the only organization focused on building power with AAPI women and girls to influence critical decisions that affect our lives, our families, and our communities. Using a reproductive justice framework, we elevate AAPI women and girls to impact policy and drive systemic change in the United States.
NAPAWF was founded in 1996 to realize the vision of 100 AAPI women who recognized the need for an organization to amplify AAPI women’s stories and experiences. Being seen and heard in the public narrative gives us the power to shape the policy and cultural change needed to gain agency over our lives, families, and communities.
Today, we are mobilizing and building power in cities across the United States to create social, political, and economic change for AAPI women and girls. We also show up in solidarity with other women of color who are experiencing injustice and harm of oppression and marginalization.
Our work is focused on the following strategies:
- Policy and Structural Change
- Organizing and Civic Engagement
- Legal Advocacy and Judicial Strategy
Through the reproductive justice lens, we intersectionality address three core issues:
- Reproductive Rights and Health
- Economic Justice
- Immigration and Racial Justice
This is a part-time, hourly position that supports NAPAWF with community outreach and engagement in Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities to move our issue campaigns and voter engagement programs. NAPAWF canvassers do this by talking to AAPI women at their doors and at community sites.
- Door-knocking and canvassing at targeted sites within AAPI communities.
- Clearly convey NAPAWF’s mission and discuss our work on issue and political campaigns.
- Identify potential members and move them to join NAPAWF.
- Educate and register AAPI women and girls to vote and move voters to the polls during a current election.
- Attend all scheduled meetings on time.
- Keep detailed notes, complete daily and weekly reports on progress and meet all goals and metrics.
- Participate and complete all required training.
- Previously canvassing or organizing experiences are preferred, but are not required.
- Must have a strong interest in reproductive and health rights, immigrant and racial justice, economic justice, and voter education and rights.
- Must have the ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with team members through email, messaging communications, and attend weekly meetings and work independently if needed.
- Ability to speak, read, and write English and preferred ability to speak an Asian language, especially Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Bangla, Hindi, Urdu, Tagalog, Arabic, and Burmese.
- Candidate must also possess strong communication, verbal and written skills and the ability to discuss sensitive issues with community members.
- Self-motivated, problem solver, and learning mindset.
- Basic computer and or tablet literacy, understanding of applications, web browsers, email, and video conferencing platforms such as Google Meet, Teams and Zoom.
- Must have reliable transportation and access to a personal vehicle, and a valid driver’s license.
HOURLY RATE & BENEFITS
All canvassing positions with NAPAWF are temporary (seasonal), part-time, and hourly, are paid at $20.00/hour, and are subject to local/state minimum wage and paid sick leave laws. Part-time temporary staff is not entitled to any benefits other than those required by local/state laws.
Canvassers will be required to meet in person at the NAPAWF office in their city daily before their shift begins. To do this, the candidate must have their own vehicle and a valid driver’s license. NAPAWF will provide PPE (if needed), a tablet, and all canvassing materials each day. Mileage will be reimbursed in accordance with NAPAWF’s procedures.
NAPAWF is committed to public health, and to the safety and well-being of our colleagues and visitors. As such we have adopted a policy requiring all employees to receive all recommended COVID-19 vaccines and boosters or to apply for and receive an exemption.
NAPAWF is an equal-opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
To apply for this job please visit nationalasianpacificamericanwomensforum.applytojob.com.