Transgender Law Center
Job Title: Supervising Attorney
Status: Full-time, exempt
Location: This position can be remote or work out of TLC’s offices in Oakland or Brooklyn
Reports to: Border Butterflies Legal Director
Salary: $85,000-$92,500 depending on experience and location
About the Border Butterflies Project
Border Butterflies is a project anchored by the Black LGBTQIA Migrant Project, Transgender Law Center, Familia: Trans Queer Liberation Movement, and other Tijuana based organizations. The project aims to support LGBTQ asylum seekers at the US-Mexico border with legal, humanitarian, post-detention, and organizing support. The staff attorney position, based in the Tijuana/San Diego region, will be hosted by Transgender Law Center. The staff attorney will provide direct legal support to LGBTQ asylum seekers in living Tijuana and United States.
About Transgender Law Center
Transgender Law Center (TLC) is the largest national trans-led organization advocating self-determination for all people. Grounded in legal expertise and committed to racial justice, TLC employs various community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender-nonconforming people alive, thriving, and fighting for liberation. (www.transgenderlawcenter.org)
This position is within TLC’s litigation team with a focus on the Border Butterflies Project.
• Provide direct immigration services to LGBTQ asylum seekers in Mexico and United States including conflict-of-interest checks, over-the-phone intakes and consultations, preparing immigration applications, reviewing evidence and records, drafting declarations, obtaining supporting documents, filing FOIA requests, conducting research, and drafting parole and bond applications.
• Review and assist attorneys who provide direct immigration services to LGBTQ asylum seekers in Mexico and United States including conflict-of-interest checks, over-the-phone intakes and consultations, preparing immigration applications, reviewing evidence and records, drafting declarations, obtaining supporting documents, filing FOIA requests, conducting research, and drafting parole and bond applications.
• Review affirmative applications before United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”), advise and assist attorneys in providing the best possible support from intake of these matters to resolution.
• Supervise and coach Border Butterfly attorneys to help them grow their knowledge, skills, and further their professional development; assist in the development of team-wide trainings.
• Assist attorneys in communicating with the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (“ICE”), USCIS or clients when problematic situations arise, including directly intervening when necessary.
• Ensure supervisees maintain up to date case notes and records, and provide quality assurance for entries in the case management systems.
• Daily attention to administrative and operational responsibilities to ensure reporting compliance, including detailed and comprehensive data collection;
• Participate in internal and external reoccurring Border Butterfly meetings
• Support the work of the legal team and the organization generally;
• Other duties as assigned.
To apply for this job please visit tlcenter.bamboohr.com.